Red Setters

showandgo

Hi there,

There is some great information on this forum, unfortunately I am still a bit of novice so I am more of a lurker and a contributed.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Red Setters?

I am looking into getting one and I’m looking for some info on things like: the nature of the dog, feeding, health, exercise, obedience training and field trial/hunting training etc.

I plan on following a couple of the pinned topics above but after that I am not too sure. So if any one has any tips or can recommend a couple of good books I’d be grateful.

Thanks.

The biggest tip I can give you on Red Setters is to get out with both of the parents and see them hunt, point, stand to shot and retrieve. There are some good ones out there......got my **** kicked by a 12 year old girl running a Red in a pheasant compitition :good:........but you will look hard for them.

Pointers train different from flushers and retrievers, and I highly suggest you get the obediance on them starting right at 8 weeks.

Once you get a pup sorted....take your time doing this as it is important.......I am sure we can find you some help on here.

NTTF

What sort of shooting do you do, what do you intend to use the dog for? The reason I ask is that there may be other breeds of dogs more suitable for your needs, and (don't take this the wrong way) if you are a novice trainer I don't think the red setter is an ideal dog to cut your teeth on.

If there are people around you that have the breed and can give you help and advice, all well and good,if not you may struggle.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Rick.

Don’t worry, I know where you are coming from. From what I have read on the online they can be more challenging than other breeds.

My shooting is almost entirely rough shooting and most of the guys that I shoot with are using pointer breeds. The choice of breed is a compromise between myself and the other half. I wanted a pointer breed and was heading towards a GSP but she always wanted a Red Setter.

Red Setters have one more brain cell than an English Setter and an English Setter has one more brain cell than a daffodil.

I know , I have owned an English Setter.

They are great to look at and have a superb "family" nature, but there are better dogs for hunting and retrieving IMO.

As has been said, they are very hard to train to work consistently.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Just a quick update. I got a Red Setter bitch last month from a well recognized working strain. She was 12 weeks old when I got her. I started NTTF obedience course, taking it slowly and it is going well enough. At the start she was very responsive however I have noticed over the last week that she has become more confident and independent and has developed selective hearing when she finds something me interesting than me.

Beautiful looking dog, loads of personality and energy to burn! I’ll get a few photos over the next week. The only thing is, I think she is smarter than I am…I use small bits of rasher as treats, which was fine at the start but then once she smelt the rasher she start to sit immediately without me giving any command…looks like I am fighting it out with the English Setters and daffodils on Cranfield’s intelligence scale!!

Hi there,

Just a quick update. I got a Red Setter bitch last month from a well recognized working strain. She was 12 weeks old when I got her. I started NTTF obedience course, taking it slowly and it is going well enough. At the start she was very responsive however I have noticed over the last week that she has become more confident and independent and has developed selective hearing when she finds something me interesting than me.

Beautiful looking dog, loads of personality and energy to burn! I’ll get a few photos over the next week. The only thing is, I think she is smarter than I am…I use small bits of rasher as treats, which was fine at the start but then once she smelt the rasher she start to sit immediately without me giving any command…looks like I am fighting it out with the English Setters and daffodils on Cranfield’s intelligence scale!!

She hasn't got any spaniel in her has she :hmm: