BLASTED FLYS!

turk101

Hi all,

I am just curious as to what you all do, to stop the flies blowing the pigeons you have shot? i don't like leaving the hide every time i shoot a bird, so often leave them out. (help's the pattern too)

But when i collect them later they have flies all over them, which have blown on them!

i was wondering if i carried one of those little squeezy water bottle the water would come out like mist, if i sprayed the pigeons, do you think the flies would still blow on the pigeons?

mad i know but am getting rather pi**ed off with it.

any suggestions would be great.

turk101

Misting them with water won't keep the flies off.

Covering them and keeping them cool (FM's wet sacks) is about the only thing that works.

I have never found blown birds a major problem, the Dealer takes them straight from my freezer and never complains and the breast meat I keep for myself gets a good washing.

Yes flys can be a real pain on your shot birds . In mid summer i tend not to leave dead birds out for decoys but keep them in the shade to cool down . When cool i bag them up in hessian sacks and put them near the hide where i can swish them with a branch cut from the hedge row . If there are eggs on them then pull them off before bagging . Any eggs you have missed wont survive the freezer . Harnser .