Whistle Pitch????

shootingmike

I have a springer. I consider myself to have done reasonably well with him as far as training is concerned as he will sit, stay, retrieve to hand, swim across rivers and then do left / right to hand signals. Overall, he's a good dog that without blowing my own trumpet I think I've trained to a reasonably high standard. It even climbs the kids play gym and slides down the slide when asked, and also takes a full seat to himself at the patio table.

When I got him a few years ago, I was told to use a 210 &1/2 whistle, so I did and haven't had any real problems other than him becoming completely deaf once his nostrils are engaged!

But my question (eventually) is this. Why do most people say 210 and 1/2 for spaniels? Is it just one of those things, something to do with ear size or do spaniels make them whilst laid in their pens at night and share a slice of the profits?:good:

Edited by shootingmike

I have a springer. I consider myself to have done reasonably well with him as far as training is concerned as he will sit, stay, retrieve to hand, swim across rivers and then do left / right to hand signals. Overall, he's a good dog that without blowing my own trumpet I think I've trained to a reasonably high standard. It even climbs the kids play gym and slides down the slide when asked, and also takes a full seat to himself at the patio table.

When I got him a few years ago, I was told to use a 210 &1/2 whistle, so I did and haven't had any real problems other than him becoming completely deaf once his nostrils are engaged!

But my question (eventually) is this. Why do most people say 210 and 1/2 for spaniels? Is it just one of those things, something to do with ear size or do spaniels make them whilst laid in their pens at night and share a slice of the profits? :good:

I have no idea Mike but I will say that when I first got my lab whose was a 210 1/2, I lost a whistle and replaced it with a 210 and had bad reactions from the lab.

I think it's done to the training and if the cur is used to a certain frequency that is the one they will respond to the best.

I'm sure someone far better qualified will be along in a minute or two.

LB

On a shoot day there can be 7 or 8 guys all using 210 1/2 whistles. We all have subtle variations in how we blow them and thats what the dogs recognise. My new Lab hasnt worked out mine yet(only had her two weeks) and responds to anyone with a 210 1/2 lolol.

I mouth whistle. The dog is always within range and I can never forget my whistle. It can never freeze, never break. Occasionally I need to wet my whistle, sometimes during the hunt and sometimes after. Different beverages of course.

That said, I don't know what the pitch of my dog whistle is, but I have used two normal whistles (totally different pitches) and a silent whistle. she responds well to all of them. I like the silent at night when we're just out for a walk. Then I'm not disturbing the neighbors.

Thanks,

Rick