Knife

Hubertus

With a 6 inch butchers knife you should be able to do just about everything from sticking (bleeding) to boning out.victorinox and the **** range are probably the best for the job.Lot of these hunting,survival knives look pretty and thats it.Vim im sure ive seen a advert in gunmart where you can buy leather sheath's at different lengths.The knife i use is a double sided f.**** approx 8 inches more like a bayonet .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a 6 inch butchers knife you should be able to do just about everything from sticking (bleeding) to boning out.victorinox and the **** range are probably the best for the job.Lot of these hunting,survival knives look pretty and thats it.Vim im sure ive seen a advert in gunmart where you can buy leather sheath's at different lengths.The knife i use is a double sided f.**** approx 8 inches more like a bayonet .

Now I see what sticking is.

Sticking to me is going out and cutting sticks that I use to carve sticks with

This is what I have, in varying sizes.

OpinelKnife_open.jpg

Easy to sharpen and cheap to replace

Those Openels are cheep as chips but they do take a verry good edge.

That Damascus Knife is a nice pice of steel vim

Dave

Thats right dave, I have the biggest one, a few mid sizes and the smallest one for fishing

@Rob_G

I was just wondering when you need to stick something while you are shooting???

A butcher does it after he had deafened a pig then he sticks it in the neck to kill and let the blood coming out but a hunter?

When we shoot on driven day we dog men need the knife to end up wounded game (mainly boar) by opening the chest behind the shoulder with the knife. Shooting is too dangerous for the dog(s). But for that reason a sticking butcher knife is useless because its to gready for bones. You reach the rib but dont get to the heart.

And by the way there are some other Company who make butcher knife in same quality: Wenger (Brand: Swibo) for example. Wenger is the second company who makes the swiss army knife aside from Victorinox.

And also Giesser is a superb company for Butcher knifes!

My favourite is Swibo.

But they are all not very hard and doesnt have a sheath. And when i have to buy a sheath they are much more expensive then the cheap but good swedish knives.

Have a look on www.frosts.se they make also very good knives and they cost only round about 10 Euro!

Or buy the Knife on the first picture in that article from Eriksson :lol:

Hubertus

This is a very good boning knife from Swibo (Wenger). Price: ~5 Pound

I did used id for gallaughing (right spelling?) once but not any longer because the blade is too flexible so that it is a little bit dangerous if you open the bone of the legs. And because it gets quick blunt while used hard.

post-11-1105112699.jpg

@devilishdave:

these opinel you get very sharp because of the high percentage of carbon and less chrome. THe carbides of the steel are very small so you can get the edge very thin. The disadvantage is they get rusty. But if you care about them they are really good!

I have a knife with a high percentage of carbon from frost. Superb!

Hubertus

i have the same knife as Dungadave for skinning.. rabbits and lambs..

@Hubertus, the Khukuri knife is the most feared knife in modern combat, if a Gurkha has a Khukuri on him or a m16, i would bet he would try and use the Khukuri first.. how did Britain win the Falklands war so easily??? the Gurkhas were in a week before the army to disable most of the snipers.

Aled

these are all the butcher knifes i own.

From left to right:

The two first one are Boning knives from Swibo nonflexible and 13 cm long. The next one is a boning knife too but from **** and flexible also 13cm. Next two are skandiniavian style boning knives from **** in 15 cm. Next one is a skinning knife from **** with 15 cm (superb for skinning and much more cheaper then skinner from hunting shops!). Next one is a sticking knive in 20 cm from Swibo. I use it to cut meat. Next one is a meat knive from Swibo with 18cm. And last one is a Giesser meat knive with 18cm.

They cost all between 6 and 12 Euro (4 and 8 pound).

Hubertus

post-11-1105113464.jpg

Hubertus,you asked why a hunter would want to stick an animal.If you stick the animal as quick as possible to drain the blood you will have better quality meat.I would like to see the way you bleed boars by opening the chest from the shoulder.I personally would go in under the breast bone insert knife parralel to back bone insert as far as possible and draw down cutting a hole approx 3inches this would give you a lot less meat damage.As you say the swibo range of knives are good but a little flimsy.

@devilishdave:

these opinel you get very sharp because of the high percentage of carbon and less chrome. THe carbides of the steel are very small so you can get the edge very thin. The disadvantage is they get rusty. But if you care about them they are really good!

I have a knife with a high percentage of carbon from frost. Superb!

Hubertus

another draw back of those little openels is they loose the edge quickly again due to the high carbin content. small price to pay because they can easily be resharpend.

Hubertus,you asked why a hunter would want to stick an animal.If you stick the animal as quick as possible to drain the blood you will have better quality meat.I would like to see the way you bleed boars by opening the chest from the shoulder.I personally would go in under the breast bone insert knife parralel to back bone insert as far as possible and draw down cutting a hole approx 3inches this would give you a lot less meat damage.As you say the swibo range of knives are good but a little flimsy.

whatever Rob says is correct :lol: to British Meat Standards...

good work there Rob :lol:

Aled

So everyone knows what sticking is now.

Sometimes you come across situations where you need to do this and a knife with a long blade is essential. You have a nice Knife collection Hubertus and your correct when you say a lot of these knives lose there edge very quickly.

But a few wipes with a steel soon put the edge back on some of these models.

@Rob:

but when i shoot deer i normally come ten minutes later or more to the killed animal. Very often it dissappears immediately so i have to wait some minute till i go there. So in the way we hunt here there is no chance to stick it. When i come to the deer/boar i immediately remove the guts and try to get the blood out of the body.

How do you do it? Do you hang the game up head down like a butcher when you have shot it? And where do you stick it?

We call it in German abfangen when have to kill a boar or deer that have been caught by the dog(s). Very often it is a wounded game.

I did not really understand how you meant it how you would do it. Am i right, that you meant stick in behind the shoulder?

I go there and stick with the knive behind the shoulder into the chest. And then cut very quick down. Round about 20 cm. The heart is very deep in boars. Best is to stick a little bit from behind then you reach the heart. Its a bit difficult to explain but i hope you understand it.

But you have to be very quick and dont be fearful. They try to defend their live and can be dangerous. You need very good dog!

Hubertus

But a few wipes with a steel soon put the edge back on some of these models.

You are right vim.

Have you ever tried it with leather and chrome polish? Works like hell even with hard blades (tried up to 57 HRC).

It is an interesting question, how do you guys do your knives resharpen?

I use Japanese and Chinese Waterstones and in the end leather with different metall polishing. And also a steel.

In former times i used a Lansky but it takes a horrible time to resharpen the knive because the stones are so small.

Hubertus

Hubertus,when you stick the deer/boar it doesn't matter if its dead you hang them up by the hind legs.Insert your knife under the breast bone between the front legs and draw it down.By doing this you are cutting the main arterys that feed the brain with blood.If done correctly the beast should be dead in 20-30 seconds.You can stick them this way laying down but it takes a little longer to bleed.