Fac questions

weejase

I have just bought a .22 hw90 air rifle mainly for the bunnies as the pigeons have dried up.

I am thinking of putting In for my fac as I`d like to use the gun to It`s full potential.

What type of gun do I apply for on the fac?

I have a pemission with quite a lot of land attached that I use the shotty on.

Would I need a seperate permission slip from the farmer to say that I have the ok to use fac guns?

Any help would be appreciated.

jase.

a 22 rimfire is levels around 110 ft lb,where airguns are around 12ft lbs,and fac up to around 40 ft ls.17 hmr rimfire is a bit more powerful again with flatter trajectories than .22 rimfires. basically if you only want fac air,then ask forjust that,but a lot of peeps ask for .22 or 17 hmr aswell rather than ask at later date really.but you will need land to be assesed for fac ticket.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Does the land need to be assessed for just an air rifle fac?

Who does the assessing and when?

What are the land requirements for an fac?

Also how should I word It when asking the farmer If I can fac guns on his land?

Sorry to be a pain guys but I`m a noob to all this :good:

Hi there,

Firstly as it's your first licence the firearms officer will probably restrict you to shooting over land that has been deemed suitable by the chief officer of police (ie land - police checked) and as such the permission you have will have to be checked by the police if it has not already been done. (easy enough to check - just phone the firearms officer at you local force).

Secondly - If you are looking at applying for an FAC and you have an abundance of land with minimal residential boundries and no other backstop type hazards - Apply for FAC Air rifle, .22LR and .17 HMR all at once. At the end of the day as someone has already stated they ccan say 'no' to any one of the slots but if you don't ask you don't get and if you do get it saves you in the long run as you'll probably progress to rimfire rifles pretty quickly.

As for rimfire rifles themselves they are basically sec 1 Firearms (in short - they fire bullets from cartridges using explosive propellent) like all other firearms 'cept FAC Airguns' - the difference is that the primer for the round is contained in the rim of the base of the cartridge (look an wikipedia for further).

You can go for either of the 2 popular rimfile calibres (.22LR 'Long Rifle' or .17 HMR 'Hornady Rimfire Magnum'). As already stated above your air rifle (hopefully) produces 12Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle (this is a measure of the energy calculated using the weight of the bullet (in grains) and the speed (in feet per second) at which it is travelling). A standard .22LR round will produce from 100 to 140 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle (business end of the rifle) and is good for rabbits out to 100 Yards Max (although at that range you will notice a considerable bullet drop). .17HMR produces 250 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle and still has 140 Ft/Lbs of energy at 100 Yards so is good for rabbits out to 125 Yards+. The HMR has a flatter trajectory as well (meaning that the bullet flies in a straighter line where as the .22lr travels in an arc ' if you exagerated it it would look like it was going over a hill'.

I have both rimfire calibres and both have there uses. However were .22lr wins on cost (the rounds are approximately a third of the HMR) and noise level (very quite using a moderated rifle and subsonic ammunition) over the supersonic .17HMR it loses on range, trajectory and some would argue safety. To qualify this last point the .22LR has a tendency to ricochette where the tiny .17 round tends to deform on contact with almost anything and rapidly lose velocity (minimising ricochette).

My personal choice is .17HMR - If you have space and want to take bunnies, crows etc at 100 Yards go for it.

Hope this helps..

Edited by Newsportshooter

Does the land need to be assessed for just an air rifle fac?- yes

Who does the assessing and when? - firearms dept.

What are the land requirements for an fac?- whatever the police think is safe really,backstops,boundaries,houses ,roads,footpaths etc

Also how should I word It when asking the farmer If I can fac guns on his land? basically,just ask if ok if you apply for a fac air rifle or rimfire rifle to shoot on his land if its cleared safe to do so by police.farmer will need to ok you before police do.

good luck mate :welcomeani:

Just thought Id add that Putting the hw 90 up to FAC power will still only give you an extra few ft/lbs.

To get the full benefit of Fac power it will be best to have your. 22 running at around 30-40 ft lbs which isnt sensibly possible with that air rifle.

You would have to end up looking at a precharged really.

Id go for a .22 or .17hmr ( not mach2) and keep your air rilfe for close range stuff if you wanted to keep your Weirach.

If you wanted to buy a dedicated high power airgun and keep your sub 12 ft lb gun then that would also make sense.

I go ut a fair bit with my hmr but im out just as much with the (legal limit ) air rifle.

Ive just got a funny feeling that If you had your gun converted and then didnt have a legal limit airgun youd miss it.

Ive got shotguns and rifles but there will always be a bog standard 12 ftlb airgun in my cabinet ! Guaranteed !

Hope you sort something out that suits YOU. Have a think, and talk to a few more people. Get some more opinions !