1st shotgun advice

rompom

I'm 27 and have been airgunning for a while now, rabbit and pigeon and have been enjoying it. I'm shooting in 3 places - 250, 20, and 10 acres respectively.

I've decided to get my shotgun licence (in particular for the pigeons) and have cleared it with all the landowners, and was hoping for some advice on what to go for. There seems to be a lot of options. I guess the big questions are S/S, O/U or single, and what bore?

Some have said I should start on a 410 and work up, others said just get straight in with a 12g. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Get yourself a nice O/U 12 bore.

you wont go wrong with that as a starting point. :sly:

Then find a local clay ground, meet yourself some new friends, and they will help you on your way. :good:

Better still visit a clay ground first, have a good look whats going on, and what its all about. Then you can decide more for yourself.

Good luck :oops:

The last thing you want to start with is a .410! Why handicap yourself when you're just starting? Go for a 12bore, a lot more forgiving for an inexperienced shot. More lead in the air, more effective range and a denser pattern. If weight is an issue then a 20 would be the next best choice to start with. Smaller gauges are better suited to those who can already shoot well with a larger bore IMHO.

SL

Hi rompom

the first thing to get sorted is your budget, how much could you fork out on your first shot gun, but keep in mind that you will need more than just a shot gun.

Cabinet £100 look for a decent 2nd hand :sly:

ear defenders £50 or plugs (free)

cleaning equipment£20

i would say buy the best shotgun you can afford buy cheap buy twice, also better chance of selling on or part exchange

go to a reputable RFD and try before you part with your cash if you can, get youself a bit of help from a decent shotgun coach,

Thanks very much for the advice. Sounds like a 12g O/U it is. Budget is going to be my next biggest problem - I've got about £350 all in (licence, cabinet, defenders etc)!

You should get something reasonable for that money, just make sure that you buy a gun that fits you because if you dont that really is money wasted :welcomeani: