a great day ferreting on my new permission

kentishsteve

Got a phone call from a lady in the week who wanted helping getting rid of her pests so i said shall i come over before hand so she can show me around and she said not to worry because it would be quite obvious on our arrival where the main warrens were, so saturday morning we made a trip there. We got there bright and early arriving at 6.45 and as we pulled up to her gates and got out we could see across the first field 10 or so rabbits moving around a quiuck walk aroun the land showed that this was going to be a promising day, there is a large house surrounded by around 20 acres of land that used to be used as a paddock but now is used as a bunny playground, and the best part was that she employed a gardener so the majority of the holes were not covered by anything. We went back to the car and got out our equipment including lenny my terrier and set about netting up the first bury we came to which had about 30 odd holes and then entered my jill.

post-13339-1227549728.jpg

2 hours later and our tally was at 17, so after speaking to the gardner who gave us some advice where the majority of the rabbits were we moved onto a bury underneath a holly bush which proved to be a challenge netting up and 2 rabbits used this to there advantage by escaping but we did still manage to get 2 in our nets. Next we moved to a field which had a thorn bush around 50 yards lond sperating the field and the ladys back garden so we went obout netting every hole which we could as some of them were impossible because to hinder our progress there was stock fencing running infront of the bush but we went on to get 5 and time was getting on and the ferret had not come out after 2 hours down there and from the side we were we could not get a signal on the ferret finder because the fence was interfering with it so my friend ran round the other side and onto a raised bed that backed the bush and found a signal a lay up 6 ft down, he shouted to me over the bush what had happened, i thought **** it was all going so well and then this, but just as i was obout to go round and start digging the ferret came out of one of the holes minus a collar, i was happy that she came out but annoyed that £50 worth of collar was stuck 6 ft down, so i bit the bullet and we started to dig and around 5 ft down we dug into obne of the tunnels and retrieved the collar.

post-13339-1227549772.jpg

We then moved onto some holes near the car that we wanted to do before we went, so we netted up and this time i thought i would put my hob down as he never gets much of a go and 10 mins in we were digging him out because he had killed a rabbit and layed up but luckily he was only 2ft down. It was a great day and to cap it all off the gardner asked the farm manger of the farm that is next to the permission if we could ferret and shoot at the farm and he called me to day to give us the thunbs up SWEET!

post-13339-1227549792.jpg

post-13339-1227549927.jpg

post-13339-1227549819.jpg

I did talk to my freind about investing in a longnet and were definately going to get one. Yeah i did go for the mk3 i did look at the earlier ones second hand on ebay but they were almost as much as a new mk 3 anyway so i thought i might aswell go for the new one. I wanted to know what was the youngest age to enter a ferret as my jill kit is 6 months and im eager to use her but in the same sense i dont want to ruin her