Wot no deeks?

mack

I have been watching a rape field over the last few weeks and the pigeons have now started feeding on it. I went to see the farmer today and he gave me permish to shoot them but on the condition that I dont use decoys!! I have heard one or two farmers say this before.

Anyone tried docoying without, er, deeks? I am sure I wont have any success but Im willing to give it a try. Maybe if Im under the flightline I will get a shot. Should I bother trying?

Has anyone had similar experience with farmers and has anyone talked any of them round? If so what tact did you take.

This is a most frustrating situation!.

Mack

The farmer's thinking is probably that by using decoys, you are encouraging more pigeons onto his crop and the ones you don't shoot will return in the future.

Had a farmer once tell us that there was no need to shoot the pigeons on his stubble because they were not doing any damage. When we explained that pigeons shot on the stubble wouldn't be feeding on his winter rape, he saw the light.

Some farmers have funny ideas and theories. :devil:

Yeah he thinks deeks will attract more pigeons to his fields. We on PW know the reasons why we use em but I will have to think carefully how I explain it to him.

I will have a crack without deeks first though, just to show willing. I need to build a relationship with him before I talk about deeks otherwise he will just say hop it.

Mack

If the pigeons have been hitting the rape, you will see where they have been.

They tend to return to those cropped areas.

Mainly, because the rape starts sprouting again if leaves have been pecked off and they like the new shoots.

It also means they can move easily among the crop, when the surrounding plants are getting higher/thicker.

The cropped area is where I would set up, preferrably near a sitty tree.

If you shoot a couple and leave them where they drop ................. :devil:

I wouldn't try to convince the Farmer about decoys just yet.

Get a good relationship first and then try.

I did nothing for almost a year, except act as a mobile bird scarer on one farm.

I don't think I shot 10 pigeons in all that time.

But, the farm had loads of potential and every time the Farmer rang me, I was there.

At the end of that year, he let me do almost anything I wanted.

Shooters in the past, had been once or twice and never come back.

Patience can be rewarded.

I can't agree with Cranfield more, my local Farm manager for a 1500 acre estate

has been using me as a mobile gas gun to keep the birds moving, so I'm out in all weathers making lot's of noise, but I know I will reap the rewards later on....

Compliance with the farmers wishes is a must at this early stage.

Remember a bad days pigeon shooting beats a good days work everytime.

Might be worth bringing a couple of frozen pigeons in the feather to lay out (perhaps place one like this: http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/4th.JPG ), make sure they are defrosted and put them out as if you've shot them. Fire a couple of shots perhaps as well if in doubt. Best way to describe decoys is explaining that they are "channeling" the birds into shootable range - woodies which are already flying over the field but may land in another part of the field out of shot.

That said Cranfield is right, no point in doing undue risk which could result in the loss of the land altogether.

Good luck, the new shoot sounds promising.

The farmer's thinking is probably that by using decoys, you are encouraging more pigeons onto his crop and the ones you don't shoot will return in the future.

Had a farmer once tell us that there was no need to shoot the pigeons on his stubble because they were not doing any damage. When we explained that pigeons shot on the stubble wouldn't be feeding on his winter rape, he saw the light.

Some farmers have funny ideas and theories. :oops:

I met a farmer out not so long agao using AAA's for pigeon!! near wet maself but he was dead serious. His theory was if he hit it it would die, tried 2 explain the benefits of smaller shot but he was having none of it. Goes to show.