decoying on grass?

mubz

Some of my best shooting was over gress , Well laced with clover , only a few weeks ago the oigeon I shot had crops bursting with clover leaves , .

The Decoys are easy to spot from the air on short grass . I space then much wider apart than on other crops ,and a lopfter in the hedge too .

I must confess to NOT having a Magnet decoy , Not because I think bad of them , on the contrary those I have seen work real;y well , Bouncers ? on fibre glass rods I do use , with a home built cradle from welding rods ,

After noons have produced best bags , not big but enjoyable shooting , , I do find Mature birds have made up the bag , over grass , so I supose numbers will be down ,

I Have not shot the last few days , being Christmas and Family around , but the previous few I shot contained Ivy and Acorns in the crops ,

Spring is with out doubt the better time to try on grass , buy bu then the Hawthorn green buds are out so its a short window , I t does take Years to learn just one shoot well , I now enjoy 4/6 birds hard won than a bag full over fresh seeded corn od winter rape ,

I recall the winter of 1962/63 . shooting to keep ravenous birds off sprouts Breast bones like razors , We just stood in a line killing wave after wave , To a young shooter this was as good as it got . after 4 days , it became boring , and only Ian and myself were turning up .

We ran out of cartridge by two o clock , and to protect the crop we killed at least 20 with frozen stalks from the sprouts , ,

So if I say I just take a few for food , friends , and to keep them off crops now , Thats your answer !

We never counted , it was just a job that had to be done , NUMBERS ?? does it matter , MEMORIES??

You know that one , POW!.