importing a shotgun

warren

i was just wondering haw hard it would be to import a shotgun into the UK from a EU country or a non EU country got a stag do to go on next year and was wondering if i could bring a barging back with me without to much hassle.Has any one done this before any advice would be great

regards

warren

I looked into it a while back but didnt go any further. It can be done but you apparently need permission / licence from the dept of trade and industry. Number below who should be able to advise you.

Import Export Department of Trade and Industry Import Licensing Branch Tel: 01642 364351

I asked my firearms officer about that and he said all I need to do is go to the local police station and ask them to issue me with a temporary international certificate. This allows you to go shoot in other countries (that have the same agreement) and/or bring a shotgun from these countries. Call your firearms officer and ask him.

I have done it on two seperate occasions ,two shot guns from the states . I declared the guns at heathrow ,had to show my shotgun certificate and was charged a very nominal import tax . I paid £15 on one of the guns and £25 on the second gun that i brought back .

Harnser .

Can I ask a few questions:

Where did you put it? in your suitcase, broken? or in a flight case? or did the airline put it somewhere for you like with other cargo?

what did you say to the USA customs when you left, or didnt you have to?

how did you know the airline would allow you to carry the guns? which airline was it?

who deals with the gun while its out of your sight? I take it that it doesnt appear on the belt with all the other cases?

J@mes .

On both occations i bought the guns in new york state . On both occations i left the states at niagara falls and went up to toronto in canada to fly home .On both occations i broke the guns down ,wrapped them well and put them in my suit case . On both occations i declared the guns at the airport at toronto . My bags were checked in normally and i picked the bags up at heathrow . I then went straight to customs on both occations and declared that i had brought back a gun from the states ,customs asked to see my shotgun certificate ,charged me the import duty and away i went .

Harnser .

Hi J@mes

It's not that easy you are not legally allowed to buy a firearm in the states unless you have been resident in the US for more than 90 days legally a US resident is not allowed to buy the gun for a non resident either.A federal firearms dealer can export it to the uk for you but this is expensive time consuming and generally not worth the hassle so most dealers will not do it.You can buy ammo if you are in possession of a hunting license issued in any state in the US. Geordie