DUCKS

I am after help on encouraging wild ducks to some ponds that i shoot over . In total there is 6 ponds of various shapes and sizes and quite a bit of plantation around the area .. There is a boating lake over the road which has loads of ducks and geese on it as the general public feed it with bread .

How do i go about getting these birds to settle on my ponds for feeding and breeding ..

Is there anything i need to set up on the ponds to attract the ducks

Roadkill

Food, fed into shallow water. Only put more down when food has gone. Make sure you are not feeding rats.

Trees and bushes arounf ponds need to be cut to allow duck to see an easy way in and out, ie fly through.

webber

cheers Webber , is there any special duck feed on the market?

Just feed wheat or barley

i will get some in ready for the next season . I also have a full bag of mixed corn that i bought when i had my chickens , would this be ok to use as it just sits in my shed ....

Also when do i need to start feeding for the next season and how often

cheers Roadkill

i will get some in ready for the next season . I also have a full bag of mixed corn that i bought when i had my chickens , would this be ok to use as it just sits in my shed ....

Also when do i need to start feeding for the next season and how often

cheers Roadkill

You want to feed as soon as ducks start paying intrest to your ponds, and Just put down a few good handfuls of feed, and watch how fast it goes, and alter accordingly.

Roadkill to answer your question in full would need a book. Feeding corn is fine for bringing the birds in during the shooting season but forget about doing much feeding after the season if you want ducks comming onto your ponds to breed. Attracting large numbers of duck onto your ponds during the breeding season will probably result in poor breeding success as the drakes rape the females and scatter families of small ducklings. A small amount is ok , but there are far more important things you can do.

1. Plant wildfowl food plants around your ponds ( BASC has a booklet on what to plant ).

2. Provide safe nesting cover and nest boxes over the water.

3. Carry out a strict preditor control project.

4. During the shooting season control moorhens and coots.

5. Keep the ponds undisturbed as possible in the breeding season.

6. Plant shrubs around part of the pond to shelter it from cold winds. This will be attractive to the duck and help produce a "hot spot " for insects for duckling food. But do not over do it as most duck do not like flighting into over grown ponds in winter.

7. An island or two will be poplar with the duck as a safe nesting and loafing spot.

8. If you have any steep banks , grade them to produce warm feeding shallows.

9. Plant some willows to prune into natural hides as they grow.

10 Give up work as you will be spending all your time pond managing, lol.

Only feed wheat and barley. Potatoes if uneaten attract rats that will take duck eggs and ducklings later on in the spring and can pollute the water which will kill the aquatic insects the ducklings will need as food.