setting snares

darren m

I believe we had a thread on this a good while back, but here goes.

Find a well used fox run, and set a snare on it (if it's through a fence look for fox fur on the wire).

To set the snare you need two slip pins (bits of sticks on either side to keep the snare in place), you need to tie the snare to something sturdy, then set the snare on the run at about the same height as a fox would be walking at or else on a hole under a fence.

When setting the snare create a kind of tunnel above and below the snare so that the fox is lured into the snare, this can be done with undergrowth or rotten sticks and the reason for this is so that the fox doesn't bypass the snare.

Always check the snares at least once a day and bring a gun because it is really difficult killing a fox without a gun.

Hope this helps Ollie

Just saw the post and thought I would offer my pence worth on it..

My mate and I set up a fox trap or something similar recently.

In the woods on the farm there was an upturned tree with the roots still intact holding the earth up. Because of this there were two obvious entrances left to get underneath the root structure where some of the roots were still in contact with the ground. The we drove sticks in vertically all around to make sure there was only to ways in and then weaved branches in between best we could to block it all up with the addition of some logs and stuff. So what was left was a solid roof structure comprising of the base of the tree and the walls made by roots/earth still connected to the ground and sticks/branches blocking up everything else.

Then we tied the snares into postion on these two entrances and slung in two un-zipped rabbits to rot away to a stink and then it has been checked from a distance every day as not too leave any scent around to spook charlie.

Not sure if it will work eventually but it seemed a good enough way to do it. See what happens. Anyone else set something similar or a better method ?

Find a well used fox run,

Thats presuming Darren wants to snare a fox,

Darren.... if you want to snare rabbits and have no luck finding out pm me and I'll try to explain how I do it.

Yeh sorry Darren I never thought that you wanted to snare rabbits. You'll have to get someone else to help you because I have only ever snared foxes.

i tend to set rabbit snares underneith fences were you can clearly see the rabbit track. i do this because i find that in the middle of the field sheep knock it over all the time.

anyway, i set mine about 4 fingers height of the ground. if you put it under a fence i normally place it just under the bottom wire.

the round bit of the snare should be set so that your fist goes though it easly.

i hope this has helped i will email you a picture of it to help you.

jake