A mini survey; join in.

eugene molloy

I went out on Monday ( Hatton- West Midlands) it was very still and quite foggy, there wasn't much moving so I just wandered the hedges of a couple of fields where I know there are a few sitty trees and a couple of fairly reliable flight lines.

I shot a dozen birds most of which had around a 3/4 full crop, roughly split......

50%.....rape

25%.....wheat

10%.....acorns

5%.......ivy berries

10%.....mixed

and 1 bird was full of "sweet corn" :lol::rolleyes:

The sweet corn was probably from a bit of Cover Crop (to provide food & cover for game in the winter). About now, it will be getting cut down and if you can get on to it, some good shooting is possible. Be quick though as it is usuall ploughed up within a couple of weeks). Clipper

• 9 months later...
Beechmast crops are not annual and have bumper years.

:rolleyes::oops:

Funny that as i'm trained in horticulture and you'll find beechmast every year along with oak nuts ivy berries etc etc annually :P

Sorry, I meant the size of beechmast crops each year are highly variable, they are not the same annually, and that this gives rise to bumper years and typically a bumper year, like that of last year will not be followed by another.