decoys

thinxs

Hello, I'm a bit new to pigeon shooting. Went out the other day with some decoys set up on the converted coathanger as shown on this site somewhere. Some birds did come down after about six minutes, when they had left (I missed them) other birds flew down but failed to stop and flew off just as quick. Any ideas about what was wrong?

Hello and thanks for resonding. I'm trying to shoot them with a 12 bore side x side.

The aim is to shoot them whilst in flight, as it doesn't really give them a chance if they're sat on the ground. As long as your pattern is 25-35 yards away, you shouldn't have too much trouble shooting them, just give them a chance to get about 6/10 feet off the ground so they are fully committed to landing in your pattern.

When I first started I had a problem that I shot them far too far out and didn't let them come in to land.

If you've got land to shoot on, there are plenty of people on this forum who will gladly take you out and teach you some extra tips. I highly recommend it, as I've learnt a lot from shooting with a few people off this forum.

Thank you. I know that I will be shooying them up off the ground. I was just out reckeying (although had gun with me and couldn't resist the chance) and had set out the decoy's just to see how effective they are. The birds that swoopped in were moving really fast and I don't think that they had any intention of landing.

plz dont take offence bud but if you cant hit a doo with a shotgun on the ground at 25/35 yrds i would seriously be thinking about a bit of clay tuition to get you set up .

frustration is not the word if you have bad days but your only gonna spoil the enjoyment/great days shooting if your not set up with your gun correctly.

if you apply for a motorcycle lisence you must go through a basic handling course b4 you get on the road cbt .id hope that when people get a shotgun cert. they would consider a basic demo and safety tuition .

again m8 im not being negative ..youll only enjoy your sport more and wont be put off by a bad start :sly:

hope you get to grips very soon and happy shooting ................

plz dont take offence bud but if you cant hit a doo with a shotgun on the ground at 25/35 yrds i would seriously be thinking about a bit of clay tuition to get you set up .

frustration is not the word if you have bad days but your only gonna spoil the enjoyment/great days shooting if your not set up with your gun correctly.

if you apply for a motorcycle lisence you must go through a basic handling course b4 you get on the road cbt .id hope that when people get a shotgun cert. they would consider a basic demo and safety tuition .

again m8 im not being negative ..youll only enjoy your sport more and wont be put off by a bad start :sly:

hope you get to grips very soon and happy shooting ................

So I take it you've never missed anything then. We all started somewhere, remember. The guy has not mentioned how long they've had a licence for and whether or not they are a regular clay shooter.

Don't forget that pigeons are a very difficult target and sometimes a 8:1 ratio is quite the norm for a days shooting.

still pigeons...cyl/1/4choke :drinks:

im not knockin anybody as stated :sly:

im left handed with a mstr right eye = nightmare im talking from experience bud not shooting my mouth off .

went though a peroid of shooting righthanded ..was never comfortable with it /went lefty again with one eye shut ..not the best with rising targets .

i shoot my 22. righthanded as there is no swing or follow through .

if you fire a shot straight with both eyes open at a stationary target and the guy dosnt know whats his master eye, its either gonna end in a hit or a shot that goes 3 foot wide with the shooter thinking the bead was on target ...result is confusion.

thinxs ....do you know whats your master eye?:drinks:

ive missed my share but usually know what the prob was ,ususally a lazy followthrough.

only trying to help bud :friends::birthday:

Edited by para90

No probs, not afended. Right eye dom. Have done some clays before bit hit'n'mis. I think practise will make perfect - er - better probably nearer the point. Only wanted to know if its normal for pigeons to 'spook' like they did. Wondered if there might be something I could do to prevent it happening.

nice one ...

movement always gives a shooters position away ,thats the obvious one who knows mate.

if your happy with your field craft :lol:????think about your deeks finish.ive used grey primer before to take the sheen off the surface .

im new to this site but its stacked with tip/tricks trial and error is probably the enevitable outcome

happy shooting ..................

hope theres not a peking order in given advice on here ,some seem a bit eager to shout members down ???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thinx

So you've taken up pigeon shooting eh, well you are in for a lifetime of learning and where better to start than reading a good book on the subject.

To answer the question of what went wrong, probably nothing and probably everything. If only a few birds passed at speed showing little interest then they are feeding elsewhere and although you missed them you do not say if there was a steady flight giving you other chances. Were you on or near a flightline or did you put the deeks out and hope for the best as this rarely works. If birds show interest and flare away then something in set up is spooking them but if they come by for a look as they pass then the main feed is elsewhere and building an attractive pattern is difficult.

Since I go out to kill pigeons to protect crop I have shot birds that land in the pattern to get dead birds down rather than plastic deeks, if a few come in to land shoot the one in the air and take the other as it rises. A situation where I have seen grown men cry is when a group come in and the gun does not pick his bird but gets on one then changes to another then another with no resulting bang,so pick your bird shoot and move on.

Birds can be put off for many reasons and experience will allow you to make better judgements on the day. If birds come in and spook early and nothing you try changes the situation watch how the leave and the route they take then position yourself at their exit route.

I tend to think of pigeon flightlines being like a roadmap with main routes and side routes depending on wind, the side roads change but the main highway is usually steady so watch and learn.

Good shooting

Gerry