Stolen

ellepop

In theory-they would get 5 years in prison.Illegal possesion of a firearm in UK is supposed to carry a 5 year sentence,but the reality could be much less.

I must admit that when i go shooting-im everso cautious about people seeing what im sticking in car.I normally put rucksack etc in first gun last and never wear my camo coat when driving etc.

I think the mandatory penalty for possession of a section one rifle without a firearm certificate is one year. I have no idea about the mandatory penalty for possession of a shotgun without a licence. Five years would apply if they were illegal guns - as in full auto's or pistols for example that FAC or SGC holders cannot usually acquire.

The keys are supposed to be on him at all times......

Sorry winchester thats tosh.

I think you will find that only the cert holder is allowed to have the keys and they are sUPposed to be in his possetion. a favorate trick of the plod is to ask the partner of the cert holder to inspect the guns and the partner gives them the spair key INSTANT REVOKE. I stand to be corrected but i think you will find this is true via firearms Law Edited by winchester

The keys are supposed to be on him at all times......

Sorry winchester thats tosh.

Yep, tosh.

The keys are supposed to be "only accessible to the certificate holder". They do not have to be with the cert holder all the time as it would be virtually impossible to ensure. (whats that bulge in your swimming trunks sir? erm, its ok mr. lifeguard, tis only me cabinet keys!!)

Most FAC holders hide their keys, or have them in a digital safe somewhere.

Case law shows that only 3 people have had revokes as a direct result of a partner knowing where the keys are hidden (another urban myth). The majority of people who have had certs revoked have had more than one "indiscretion" regarding the conditions of the Firearms Act or their cert.

Despite the uraban myth factor it is VERY rare for any FLO to recommend a revoke of a certificate without good reason (not that it doesnt happen at all). The main reason for revokes is "potential danger to the public" followed by "technical infingement" ie too much ammo, guns left unsecured, shooting on unauthorised land etc etc

As long as this chap had the guns secured (sounds like he did) and it was a forced entry into the cabinet (sounds like it was) then he has nothing to worry about regarding his certificate. His main worry will now be getting the insurance to pay out. If he is relying on household insurance, they usually state they must be informed of how many guns are stored, values etc prior to the policy being granted.

Please pass on my regards to this chap, and lets hope he is back out shooting soon

Berlimey - seven guns in one fell swoop. If they were Section one rifles there would need to be good reasons for each of them to be held.

While there is no need for a "good reason" on sec 2 firearms at the moment, I would think that the new Firearms Act, being worked on at the moment, will have some view on this.

I'm not a shotgun owner and feel curious about why so many are needed - or even just wanted. Now don't jump down my throat because I really don't know and I'm not challenging his right or need - nor even his want to use them.

Not too difficult really once you break them down

Greener GP 12b Martini action, beautiful gun to use and lots of people "collect" greeners

Sarasquetta 12b sbs sidelock, good for taking along to more "formal" shoots

Webley & Scott 410. bolt action, ratting gun. 2b would be too much for small vermin

Belgian folding single barrel 410, good for introducing juniors to shooting. Single shot is very safe for beginners

Miroku o/u 12b, classic clay gun

Lincoln Jubilee 16b o/u multi choke, game gun. Some game shouldnt be attempted witha 12b in some circles!

Baikal 12b sbs non ejector, rough shooting gun.

Only my ideas, and probably wrong too. Just thought I would try to explain why someone may have several different types/calibres etc. No throat-jumping intended

Could someone put me right because it seems to me that incidents like this, though clearly none of his doing may be likely to result in more restrictions for SGC's.

i recon that i could get in to alot of gun safes with out keys with not doing much damage to the contents well atleast i think i could tho it prob would be making quite alot of noise but wud take under 1/2 hour . when you think about it it is only a metal box. and we can cut and manipulate metal.

i jus hope the **** that stole your mates guns get caught and get what they deserve

The conclusion I came to was that if I took my cabinet to the engineering workshop I work in It would take me at least 30mins to break into it damaging the contents inside no doubt and that is using some serious gear so how the hell did they breach your mates.

Having said that I do sympathise

Ive, I can beat you by 29 minutes on that but the cabinet wouldn't be of any use any more :no:

LB

that's why I personally frown on the habbit some have for listing what guns they have on these forums

remember that these forums are public, anyone can see them and if you have any details about the guns

you own and your info page is filled in it does make it easier (not easy but easier) to target areas where

there may well be fire arms