Shooting Rats

Steveo

I shoot rats with an air rifle for my local farmer in their cattle house. There is a grass bank on three sides of the house and the rats are coming from there during the night. When we started shooting the rats were running over our feet and were running about the passageways but now they wont leave the slats and when the lamp goes on they are away at about 100mph there fore no chance of a proper shot. I have shot them running before but they are too smart/fast now. I have tried baiting (MY OWN IRRESTISTABLE RECIPE - rats, jackdaws and feral pigeons love it!!!) and alternating shooting times but they arent as confident as before. Does any one have any tips or hints?:lol:? :rolleyes: :<

Steveo, what i did was to leave a light/lamp on in the shed the whole time, near to where you bait if you can (my fav at the minute is peanut butter).... the little ******* soon came back out to feed regularly, i used to wait and pop them off without having to have a lamp with me...otherwise maybe an organised day with the smokemachine and terriers might be in order...

Coney

Av a look at a recent thread by shore shot in countrysports called ratting with ferrets. Guns are a good idea but cos they bolt all over the shop, you need to be with people you can trust. Good luck and by the way what bait have you been using?.

Regards Coney

All in one dog meal

Cat Food (preferably fishy)

Sweetcorn

Vanilla Groundbait

Bread

Soak the dog meal in boiling water to make it nice and sticky and soft then add all the other ingredients together and mix it for a while. Add some more water and let the whole thing sit for a few hours. I try to put it inside bits of 4in pipe or bottles with the ends cut off them. The rats cant resist it. Its sweet and fishy. It would be a good base to add poison to.

same has happened to me, you can either out a light out, shoot in day. But what ever you do they will get wise too. Ive now resorted to a night vision scope. They cant see or detect this, and they have to feed so they will come out and thats when i shoot them.

Remember fixed light, lamp light they will eventually get used to you shooting at them! they are clever, mix it up or leave a while between shooting trips otherwise you will not get many shots!

Edited by Jon-Boy

All in one dog meal

Cat Food (preferably fishy)

Sweetcorn

Vanilla Groundbait

Bread

Soak the dog meal in boiling water to make it nice and sticky and soft then add all the other ingredients together and mix it for a while. Add some more water and let the whole thing sit for a few hours. I try to put it inside bits of 4in pipe or bottles with the ends cut off them. The rats cant resist it. Its sweet and fishy. It would be a good base to add poison to.

Sounds like a something I knock up when I come back from the pub :rolleyes:

Had been looking at Gen 1 monocular from deben but cant really afford one. They are really cheap compared to others but was wondering how good they are? Would it be worthwhile spending £150 - £200 on a better one or are the deben onesgood enough for rabbits, rats and the occasional foxing trip??

Didnt know it was possible to fit high powered IR illuminators to low priced monoculars. Im seriously considering buying one but i think i have spent enough money on shooting recently (new gun lamp, new gun, silencer for old gun, clothes etc) need lottery numbers to help with the stuation. :rolleyes:

A lot of people don't know IF you add a Higher power IR illuminator to a GOOD GEN1 NV system then you can get that GEN1 NV to out do the cheap GEN2. Why pay 1000s for a GEN2 when you can upgrade the GEN1 to be just as good for a little over £100?:rolleyes:. Try it if you don't beleive me but a higher power Illuminator about 75Mw up over or even better is 100Mw as you will find most GEN1's will have about 35Mw illuminators. It's like changing a standard 100 watt bulb for a 500w much better for longer target aquisition at beyond 45 yards. Like i say give it a try

Zeb

Hi stevo i have a ns156 made by NEWCON OPTICK its a fantastic bit of kit for shooting rats i also have a deben tracer light with some kind of infa red fiter, its light day time at night ;) the little blighters dont know what hits them. If you live near nottingham or dont mind traveling you are welcome to try mine :D there is a deben one for sale on another site heres the number

Dan on ; 07859 056685 :D

Best of luck Ash

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Mossy 835, I don't know about whether using ferrets for rats ruins them for rabbits or not but I think the ferrets will try and kill the rats more than they do to the rabbits and then take this new found skill down the rabbit bury. Also I wouldn't recomend using ferrets for rats anyway as a rabbit rarely fights back however rats will especially large female does or rats with young in the nest and if they are bitten hard on their first trip it may put them off no matter how strong the ferrety instinct is to go down a hole. :lol:

Hope this helps :lol::)

FM :P