over or under

mfrcus

Well I have been clay shooting a few times but I am a game shooter to be honest. I will no doubt be corrected but I would imagine it would depend on the chokes of your gun.

If for example you have a close target and then a high one. I would use the more open choke for the close target then the tighter for the higher shot.

If I am wrong on this please correct me.

SS

When guns were all fixed chokes, the more open choke was in the "front" barrel (the right hand one on a sbs, or the bottom one on a o/u).

It was usual to select this barrel first and then fire the second barrel (with the tighter choke) if you missed, as the target had now moved further away.

With multichokes now in a lot of guns, you can play any option you want.

I wouldn't know about that Marcus. I would imagine the only difference would be with the chokes. I don't want to get involved with chokes and what you should use and what you shouldn't. To be honest give it a try if firing the bottom first then the top works for you then do that. I think your swing and where you are hitting are more important then chokes.

A lot of the time when you start to think to much you miss it should be a natural thing.

SS

1/4 and 1/2 are the usual choice for all round sporting.

1/4 fired first from the bottom barrel and 1/2 from the top.

Why that way round?

Simple, the pressure line of the bottom barrel is straight into the heel, while the upper barrel is above. If you fire the upper barrel first the gun lifts ( muzzle flip). In most cases the second shot will be at a more distant target, but with typical sporting argets 25 - 40yds, both 1/4 and 1/2 are going to do the job if you put the shot in the right place.

If your gun has a selective trigger, there may be rare occasions where firing top first to reverse the choke order without changing them has some advantages, but usually the only reason for firing top first will be when a game shooter has two widely different chokes and loads in their gun and ants to put out the optimum load first on sight of the quarry.

In clays it would be very rare to want to fire top first.

If Clayman will forgive me for appropriating one of his recent posts from 'Guns & Equipment, I believe this may be what is being referred to.

Edited by petethegeek

I would bow to Clayman's superior ballistics knowledge, but must say that I have never experienced/noticed the barrel flip when firing the "top" barrel first.

However, my reference to the "historical" reasons for firing the "front" barrel first still stands.

My Beretta has an irritating problem with the barrel selector switch, where it migrates by itself. This either causes it to stick in the middle, causing the gun not to fire at all, or it makes it all the way and it reverses the barrels. I can tell when this has happened, because the recoil is totally different and rather unpleasant. I've always just put this down to it just feeling different from what I'm used to, but I don't like it at all. I don't suffer from recoil at all, but I really don't like the feel of the shot from the top barrel first, if I'm not expecting it. ???

So the feel of the recoils from the two barrels are certainly very different, but I find it hard to decide in what way

Edited by Chard

I would bow to Clayman's superior ballistics knowledge, but must say that I have never experienced/noticed the barrel flip when firing the "top" barrel first.

However, my reference to the "historical" reasons for firing the "front" barrel first still stands.

With a 24 or 28g clay load in an 8lb clay gun the flip will not be huge, and is easily controlled if you are an experienced shot.

It becomes noticeable in skeet and trap.

In both cases very rapid second shots may be taken, trap more than anything. In this situation, stopping any uncontrolled lift in the barrels on first shot is going to be important. What the second shot does in terms of muzzle flip really doesn't matter, unless you happen to have an up over and under - three shot gun - called a trifle I think? :good:

Light S/S are usually the worst for noticeable muzzle flip. Both barrels are above the pressure line and each causes lift in turn. The lighter the gun and the heavier the cartridge the more flip results, and you get it twice wityh a s/s, making some game gun and cartridge combinations pretty lively, as a S/S also has a small amount of side flip to compound the effect!

I do use a light game gun side by side and can confirm that with 28gm loads I get barrel flip, which is increased when using 30gm loads.

As this is normal to me and expected I must unconsciously compensate for it, as it doesn't affect my shooting.

I have always put this down to the gun weight and/or barrel length, rather than the barrel configuration.

Never too old to learn. :good: