Ferret Advice

monkeyjaimz

I lost one of my ferts last weekend - saw her ok on saturday night, then on sunday morning she was curled up 'asleep' :P

Anyway, my remaining jill is visibly lonely and getting a bit agitated when out and about. I've been trying to locate a replacement jill for the one that died (any advice on this will be appreciated).

Then this morning I had the idea of mating my remaining jill, now I am still a novice keeper, but I quite like the idea of having a few baby ferts about the place - and having an excuse to build a bigger court for them :P

any information / advice would be greatly appreciated guys :lol:

Your jill should be coming in season soon mate, you'll notice with her vulva swelling up. Put the hob in and he should grab her by the neck then drag her around (it's rough). Leave him with her for a day if her neck is not badly marked after a couple of hours, then take him out and keep them seperate for a day and put him back in with her. A ferret is pregnant for 61 - 63 days, a week before she is due change her bedding and you should notice her making a nest. The kits should open there eyes at about 2 weeks old then start eating solids after the 3rd week. Keep them with their mother till 8 weeks old as they learn alot from her during the first couple of months. Have plenty of food in as a litter will devour vast quantities of food for there size. Good luck with the breeding

Before you think about breeding her .Ask yourself is she good enough to breed from ,workwise etc its a whole load of bother and a jill with kitts will eat loads of fresh meat all summer till there 12 weeks old and can leave the jill.Its a dam site easier to get a couple of kitts in from someboy else

Before you think about breeding her .Ask yourself is she good enough to breed from ,workwise etc its a whole load of bother and a jill with kitts will eat loads of fresh meat all summer till there 12 weeks old and can leave the jill.Its a dam site easier to get a couple of kitts in from someboy else

what utter tosh. All ferrets are good workers, even if they have never worked before they soon catch on after 5 or so sessions. But i will agree that its easier to get a ferret or two from someone else when they are 6 months old.

what utter tosh. All ferrets are good workers, even if they have never worked before they soon catch on after 5 or so sessions. But i will agree that its easier to get a ferret or two from someone else when they are 6 months old.

I'd love to take you out on some of my permission where a 15 foot locator's no good or the other one where there's hundreds of holes in the 300 yards of the burrow and then you telling me

All ferrets are good workers :blink: