.243 reloading

Hi mate. Yea there are some good powders about on the market like Hodgdon Varget,H380,H414, H450, H4831,H4895 all good with 70 grn bullets also Vihtavuori N133, N135, N140,N150,N160 all that I've had dealings with over the years i've been reloading. But remember to use a starting grain load appropriate to the powder IE Varget min grain 38.0 max 40.5. But never exceed the stated maximum load for what powder you might use as this can cause excessive high pressure. Note mate H4831 is a compression load meaning when you load it in a case and put the bullet on top to the required depth you will compress the powder with the bullet as the powder is on the large side for the inside case diameter/ capacity.

When i reload i make batches of 5 rounds and work up in 5 grain increments so you can see on a target whats what IE group size's etc ,and make notes whats is the best for your needs. Also a chronograph is a handy thing to use to see what speeds are like for the rounds your making.

If you haven't got a reloading manual a good one to get is Richard Lee's Modern Cartridge Reloading,its a wealth of information or get a manual specific to the powder you choose to use

Obviously Be safe when reloading ,it a time consuming hobby and its easy to make a mistake if your not paying attention.

Hope this is some help to you :lol:

Cheers lads but someone told me that varget powder is not a .243 load with nosler 70 grain and if you look on the nosler site at 70 grain .243 bullet heads it only gives you load data for 3 powders, So where did you lads get your load data from for the other powders with the nosler 70grain heads cheers Rob

Edited by bobby b

Hi,

Check this site out

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

Varget I believe is made in Australia and rebadged by Hogdon .Over here it is AR2208 and perfectly suitable for 243. If you go to the rest of the ADI site you will find a complete set of loads for all calibres using their powders. I use Benchmark II (which I believe is marketed overseas as Benchmark and AA2015) and AR2206H which is probably the most versatile powder available anywhere. Not sure if 06H is marketed overseas. Out here fullbore and F class standard shooters are restricted to this powder and it does a marvellous job in both 223 and 308. I use 06H in my 7/08, 25/20, 6BR dasher and 223.

Cheers :blink:

Cheers lads but someone told me that varget powder is not a .243 load with nosler 70 grain and if you look on the nosler site at 70 grain .243 bullet heads it only gives you load data for 3 powders, So where did you lads get your load data from for the other powders with the nosler 70grain heads cheers Rob

Rob

The Nosler manual gives a lot more 7/8 from memory - it's the only book I have owned that seems to be on permanent "loan" to mates. That is the reason I can't be sure of how many.......a mate has it right now :blink:

Cheers

AndyCM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nosler 5th edition shows Varget as the amost accurate powder tested with the 70gr ballistic tip. Starting load 38gr max load 42. They achieved the best accuracy with the max load. As a cautionary note I have noticed the Nosler manual generally shows hotter loads than the Hodgdon website. As usual work up your loads carefully.

Hi mate. Yea there are some good powders about on the market like Hodgdon Varget,H380,H414, H450, H4831,H4895 all good with 70 grn bullets also Vihtavuori N133, N135, N140,N150,N160 all that I've had dealings with over the years i've been reloading. But remember to use a starting grain load appropriate to the powder IE Varget min grain 38.0 max 40.5. But never exceed the stated maximum load for what powder you might use as this can cause excessive high pressure. Note mate H4831 is a compression load meaning when you load it in a case and put the bullet on top to the required depth you will compress the powder with the bullet as the powder is on the large side for the inside case diameter/ capacity.

When i reload i make batches of 5 rounds and work up in 5 grain increments so you can see on a target whats what IE group size's etc ,and make notes whats is the best for your needs. Also a chronograph is a handy thing to use to see what speeds are like for the rounds your making.

If you haven't got a reloading manual a good one to get is Richard Lee's Modern Cartridge Reloading,its a wealth of information or get a manual specific to the powder you choose to use

Obviously Be safe when reloading ,it a time consuming hobby and its easy to make a mistake if your not paying attention.

Hope this is some help to you :blink:

I think you mean 0.5 grain increments mate :D