Beretta 686E or...?

N24

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to shotguns, just received my licence & am in the market for a shotgun and currently have a 686E top of my list. However I'm not sure why it's top of my list other than it's a brand I've heard of & hence probably salable if I change my mind/upgrade etc, and it doesn't have animals engraved on the side - they don't do much for me personally.

I'm after a gun purely for clay shooting - should there be something else I should be considering?

The other thing I was wondering is whether I should get a cheap gun for use in rain (do clay shoots operate in the rain?) - and keep the 686 for dry days?

many thanks!

i have one to and i cant fault it, and its a beretta so your getting quality too, if you have over £3500 then yes get a dt 10, but you wont get much more for the extra money really, but dont go out with with the intent on buying a certain gun, it must be one that fits, you can go spend £10.000 but if it doesnt fit you then its money not well spent,

I had a 686 for 12 months, bought it 2nd hand. Never had any problems with it, I part exchanged it for a 682 gold E. The 682 feels a lot lighter, I think it's just better balanced? it also fits me better.

I only lost £50 on the 686 ,so I can't complain. But I much prefer the 682 :good:

Thanks all - what's the difference between 686E & 682 Gold - other than £500 odd?

ta

682 has adjustable trigger and optima chokes. As for the price difference thats why I asked if you were buying new. If so you could get a mint 2nd hand 682e for the price of a new 686e

Edited by LXX73

682 has adjustable trigger and optima chokes. As for the price difference thats why I asked if you were buying new. If so you could get a mint 2nd hand 682e for the price of a new 686e

:blink:

probably a good idea, but as said, make sure it fits, and dont always take the word of the shop owner that it fits you, i did that, then went on the patten plate when having a lesson and it was shooting 6" low and a few inch to the left, so gat an ajd stock 686E and had it fitted with the instructor with a laser and on patten plate, perfect.

Went to a gun shop that had a 682 gold e & they were adamant that a 686E is a game gun only. Came up with a price of £2,400 - must say I was underwhelmed by that deal to say the least. Will keep on looking!

Tell them to lay off the crack!

Have a look a guntrader to get an idea on prices.

Edited by LXX73

... I was hell bent on buying a Berreta but they just didn't fit or feel as good (to me) as the Browning I ended up with.

Exactly the same for me. When I got keen on shooting again after a 20 year lay off I took my son with me to the local clay ground for a beginners lesson. I shot a 686E, and hit 18 of the 20 easy incomers. I decided there and then that was the gun for me, but when I went back with my SGC ten weeks later I ended up with a 525, fitted and felt better.

Some grounds will let you try a gun for a round, I'd suggest you do that.

Thanks all. I phoned a couple of other shops & will try to visit them this weekend - some sound quite promising in that they have their own instructors/classes - as you've said I'd hate to buy a £2k gun & find it's unsuitable.

The Miroko 38 is the other model I'm interested in.

cheers,

Went to a gun shop that had a 682 gold e & they were adamant that a 686E is a game gun only. Came up with a price of £2,400 - must say I was underwhelmed by that deal to say the least. Will keep on looking!

Thats GMKs top new price.

Tell them you’re not laughing and go somewhere else.

£1400 - £1695 is what you should be paying for a mint used Gold E. Adjustable stock will give you scope for fitting, make the gun more desirable if you resell and should still be under £1695 (with case and chokes).

Lastly, ask what their best price is. No one except GMK charges full cop. When you have their very best price ask them what it is for cash. If you use your card they have to pay 2-3% so you should at least get this bit off as well.

Go for it! My E shoots 25 strait, unfortunately not when I’m holding it. :welcomeani:

Thanks a2oth - although I'm pretty new to guns, I'm trying to use my 'used car sense' to buy a shotgun. There's no way I'd pay £2400 for that gun (in fact I wouldn't take it off them if THEY gave me that much for it such was their duff service) - I'm more than happy to pay for advice & nurture a customer/supplier relationship - BUT I'm not going into it with mug written on my face!

I've a couple of leads I'm following up on at present for both new & used 682 gold e's & DT10's (dontcha just hate handling the next model up & then getting smitten!?).

Got my S/G certificate last Sept 08 and was in the exact same position as you.

After trying a fair few guns i instantly fell for & bought a 2nd hand minter 682 GOLD E 32" with the multi chokes. Never looked back! Absolutely Fantastic gun!!!!!

I do skeet and sporting.

All i had to buy extra was another skeet choke which i also bought 2nd hand for £20 so i can shoot skeet and skeet.

If your based in and around London your more then welcome to try mine out.

Very generous offer - thank-you, and to all the previous & those that PM'd - very helpful.

Bought a new 682 gold e earlier today - handling one compared to a 686E was my downfall!

Managed to luck upon one for _substantially_ less than the current RRP, and not much more than a used one. Gets it's first outing this Sunday!