Jumping through hoops

Ozzy Fudd

incase you havnt seen some of my posts lately, ive been toying with the idea of getting another gun to use for hunting in latvia; something to be used on wild boar, moose, deer and wild goats over there. i started off thinking about a new shotgun, something with a high capacity magazine, then over the last few days ive started thinking about getting a lever action rifle, possibly a marlin 336 in .30/30; i rang the gunshop yesterday morning to price one and they told me to contact the local feo first to see what calibre i might get granted before looking at guns.

so i tried him all day yesterday, got no joy but to give him credit he rang me back this afternoon when i was in work, i went into the office kitchen to take his call, thanked him for calling and explained the situation (the gf's from latvia, ive been hunting boar there, etc, going back again in a couple of months) and that i wanted to know what calibre of rifle i might get granted for hunting over there. things started taking a nose dive here.

he asked me what kind of calibres i wanted, i told him i was looking at a winchester in .357 mag or a marlin 336 in .30/30 lever action (i checked with lee, and although .30/30's not the best calibre, he said it would work), i said i wanted something big enough to use on boar but small to enough to be able to use here, and also wanted a lever action as it would be quicker than a bolt action; no, the feo said, that calibre wouldnt be sufficient. ok then... how about a .270? (again, courtesy of lee). Nope, too small. ok, a .308? still maybe too small a calibre, and then he said i really should look into my calibres more! i kept calmand said yes, but the gunshop told me to check with you first what i could get granted before doing all that ;)

right i thought, **** this, so i decided to push the boat out. ok how about a .45/70 govt then? i thought no way that wont be enough, it could probly take out a police landrover (although i didnt say this obviousley!!) :good:

it didnt have the desired effect; he said yeah it would work on boar, but you seem to be picking old lever action rifle cartridges? :lol:

eh... i pointed out that he was right, because i was looking a lever action rifle as lever would be quicker to cycle than bolt, as i already had said.... :lol:

so this seemed to saitisfy him a bit, then he hit me with the ko move - i need to prove ill be using the rifle for boar hunting. well thats simple i thought, i can show you photo's of me wild boar hunting in latvia recently :lol: but that wasnt good enough; just because i had photo's showing me hunting boar doesnt mean id use the rifle for that, id need to join a hunting club or something in latvia, and get a letter from them which the police can authenticate before theyd issue my licence, if they decided to give me one that is. he finished off saying that a few people had got large calibre rifles in the past for hunting game in africa, etc, but he said id probably be safer buying a gun in latvia and leaving it with katya's brother.

so im now a bit ****** off with the whole bloody system. dont get me wrong, the feo was ok, i dont have a problem with him, he was civil enough and just doing his job, but whats all this **** about having to join a club in latvia to get a rifle?! and surely its up to me whether or not a certain calibre is sufficient to take down game, not the bloody cops! i thought this would have been a simple case of "ill be using the rifle for boar in latvia, im not a nutcase, ive got 2 shotguns and a .22 rifle already and i can prove i have experience with centrefire rifles from 5.56 to 7.62, ive even used smle's in the past, so what calibre am i allowed up to??"; instead it turned into a **** take session which has left me feeling like i havnt a clue about guns and the system is trying to make me jump through hoops, simply because it can :good:

ok, rant/whinge over now, congrats if you managed to read this far :lol:

Here is an article from The Shooting Times

What calibre is best for wild boar?

What calibre is best for wild boar?

A 200lb boar has an extremely tough, thick skin and a powerful frame.

Print

Comment

Mail

Feed

Thursday, 20 July 2006

I intend to go wild boar shooting soon. In your opinion, what calibre would you say is best for boar?

A:

First of all, before raising a rifle to a wild boar, you must ensure your firearms certificate specifies you are allowed to shoot these animals.

As far as rifle calibres are concerned, wild boar are powerful, strong and potentially dangerous animals that must be treated with respect.

A 200lb boar has an extremely tough, thick skin and powerful bones, and demands a calibre which will ensure a killing shot.

There have been reports of calibres as small as .22 centrefires being used against wild boar, but these, and even .243 Winchester calibre rifles, are inadequate and should never be contemplated.

The result will usually be a wounded animal which may die a lingering death or prove extremely dangerous.

The minimum calibre to be used against wild boar is the .270 Win, delivering a muzzle energy of 2,700ft/lb, but it is recommended that a calibre of no less than 7mm with a bullet of 160 grains-plus and muzzle energy of no less than 2,800ft/lb should be used.

Nobody's opinion other than you FEO's matters: your RFD is there to advise you, but that should be taken with a pinch of salt. Pick up the phone and talk it through with the FEO. If you have the 'good reason', and it sounds like you do, then a level-headed FEO will grant you the appropriate calibre. I travel a lot with my guns, and I do not need to be a member of any club to do so. One letter from a hunting agency confirming that you are booked in a boar hunt should suffice.

Personally I wouldn't go for .45-70, unless you are an avid home-loader. I would try a Marlin 1895 at the range before you buy, as the muzzle-flip and recoil is quite something. I would go for .30-06 or .300WM: something accurate and sold the world over, that you can also use for British deer.

Talk to Mungler about solid slugs. I recall that he did not get on well with them on his foray in Croatia last year.

Nobody's opinion other than you FEO's matters: your RFD is there to advise you, but that should be taken with a pinch of salt. Pick up the phone and talk it through with the FEO. If you have the 'good reason', and it sounds like you do, then a level-headed FEO will grant you the appropriate calibre. I travel a lot with my guns, and I do not need to be a member of any club to do so. One letter from a hunting agency confirming that you are booked in a boar hunt should suffice.

Personally I wouldn't go for .45-70, unless you are an avid home-loader. I would try a Marlin 1895 at the range before you buy, as the muzzle-flip and recoil is quite something. I would go for .30-06 or .300WM: something accurate and sold the world over, that you can also use for British deer.

Talk to Mungler about solid slugs. I recall that he did not get on well with them on his foray in Croatia last year.

cheers mate. the thing is its not done through an agency, i just tagged along with the gf's brother and his hunting club, and thats all ill be doing when im there, so unless i join their club (unlikely) im caught on a catch 22 there. im just a bit peeved at being shot down so badly when i thought i had a good reason; as well as that the feo told me travelling with a gun is quite alot of hassle and probably not worth it :lol:

ill send mung a pm now, alot of the guys were using shotguns there but ill see what he reckons :good:

cheers man,ill think about it over the next week or so and see whats the best idea :lol:

Hey boy! I think that you should do what the man had said, and is it me? But it seems that each feo has his own ideals as to how they deal with certain requests :good: Am i off base on that comment?

Hey boy! I think that you should do what the man had said, and is it me? But it seems that each feo has his own ideals as to how they deal with certain requests :lol: Am i off base on that comment?

fair comment to be honest. my last feo was totally different; granted i havnt met this guy face to face yet, but the last guy was a total gun nut - i rang him once to check out if buying a 50 round mag for my 10/22 was legal (couple of years back when i first got into shooting) the phone call lasted 30 minutes - 2 mins to say yes it was fine and the rest of it talking about fitting the tactical stock to the rifle and all the different scope options :good:

i think ill give basc a shout and see whats going to be the best option for me :good:

fair comment to be honest. my last feo was totally different; granted i havnt met this guy face to face yet, but the last guy was a total gun nut - i rang him once to check out if buying a 50 round mag for my 10/22 was legal (couple of years back when i first got into shooting) the phone call lasted 30 minutes - 2 mins to say yes it was fine and the rest of it talking about fitting the tactical stock to the rifle and all the different scope options :good:

i think ill give basc a shout and see whats going to be the best option for me :lol:

If all else fails hit me back as i am Brit now you know :good:

Ok can't you just offer one of them a substantial hire fee (about the same price as the gun) which is obviosuly stored in their name etc that you can use every time you're over there? Seems a bit overkill for anything you'd want to shoot in the UK anyway?

I would agree with you hairy water fowl about the over kill in the UK :yes: But just shooting targets on a warm Sunday afternoon is grand.. You can shoot on Sunday :good:

Edited by LeeinVA

can't you just borrow a gun off one of them when you're over there?

Ok can't you just offer one of them a substantial hire fee (about the same price as the gun) which is obviosuly stored in their name etc that you can use every time you're over there? Seems a bit overkill for anything you'd want to shoot in the UK anyway?

yes, i can get a gun over there, either buy one and leave it on her brothers licence or borrow one like last time :good:

BUT

i dont know how you feel about hunting with an unfamiliar gun, i certainly dont feel comfortable with it, which is why i wanted to buy my own gun and be able to use it here as well as there. even if it was range use only over here i would still be able to practice; even though i could buy an sks over there for £150 (and not have to spend a lot of money transporting it) i want to have something that i dont have to think how to use it when im out hunting, especially when faced with a wild boar, and firing a dozen rounds through a gun every since months or so wouldnt be enough for me :yes:

does that make sense?

Edited by babbyc1000

yes, i can get a gun over there, either buy one and leave it on her brothers licence or borrow one like last time :good:

BUT

i dont know how you feel about hunting with an unfamiliar gun, i certainly dont feel comfortable with it, which is why i wanted to buy my own gun and be able to use it here as well as there. even if it was range use only over here i would still be able to practice; even though i could buy an sks over there for £150 (and not have to spend a lot of money transporting it) i want to have something that i dont have to think how to use it when im out hunting, especially when faced with a wild boar, and firing a dozen rounds through a gun every since months or so wouldnt be enough for me :yes:

does that make sense?

Its like wearing another mans underwear :look: