Recommend me a......

scifiden

My 11 year old daughter has for a while know been on at me to go clay shooting. She is a slight build so i need for you lot to recommend me a calibre & model that will fit her & won't knock her on her **** :unsure: :D I will then try & lend said calibre and if she like's it then will buy her a gun. :good: :unsure:

Whilst I agree that a 28G gives a better pattern than a .410 I think you will have trouble finding one, they are a bit like hen's teeth.

I would try a .410 using 2.5" cartridges loaded with 14g of No.7 shot or No.9 shot if close targets.

I find that the .410's I have tested pattern best with 2.5" cartridges.

The on from this is that you will buy a .410 (secondhand) cheaper and easir than a 28G.

Good Luck,

Tony.

no doubt by now you've had a look around at what's available

£prices are varied to say the least -

have a chat with a local shooting ground (see BASC coaches) there are loads of options on the types of cartridges available now which might make you consider a different route (ie 20b with light trainer cartridges)

You might get a better choice.

Personally i've always fancied a 28, but like many o/u.410 (i have one - brilliant and deadly) they are built on 20b actions so can be deceptively heavy.

Keep your mind open until you make the choice, but whatever, consider you use some of the lightest cartridges avail for that calibre at least for the first few outings. Comfort is the first objective, else the money would be wasted anyway. You can always make the targets easier, but you cannot stop the reflex flinch once the recoil has taken it's toll.

cg