Fox Snaring

gibby

Been out night after night every so often hoping to meet the fox as i walk, as i do not have all the time i would want to lie and wait. Is snaring a good way to go? Any help on how to make and set up a snare, and any vital precautions that i need to take?

Gibby

if you are snaring on a fence snare all the visible holes and rember that a fox isnt stupid so when you go back to check your snares. always keep a look out for new holes and then snare them as well. keep doing this and then your fox will trip up and start to use one of his old holes and then he is ****** that is how to snare your self some charlie but always make sure it is a fox run not anything else xxxx :/:lol:???:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When you find a fox run (if it's under a fence you may find fox fur on the fence), get two slip pins (small branch preferably straight) and split them down the middle and put on each side of the run to hold the snare in place, now tie the snare to something that isn't going to break.

Now set the snare, if it's under a fence set it on the gap and fill the gap around the snare, if the run is not under a fence set the snare at a height in which the fox will put his head through but the really important part is to make sure you create a sort of funnel with old bushes or something so that this leads the fox into the snare and not around or over it.

Check the snares at least once daily and always bring a gun with you because it is a nightmare to try and dispatch a fox without one.

Hope this helps, Ollie

Don’t like snares, I really don’t. But if you really need to get this fox then you have been given some good advice.

Personally I would get there early in the evening an lie in wait with a rifle, but if that is not an option then the very least you can do is check the snare as early as possible the next day (if you set it on the evening).

Also be aware that you MUST use a snare that doesn’t lock, otherwise you could find yourself in deep doo-doo.

Best of luck (but try using a rifle first)

G.M.

if you are snaring on a fence snare all the visible holes and rember that a fox isnt stupid so when you go back to check your snares. always keep a look out for new holes and then snare them as well. keep doing this and then your fox will trip up and start to use one of his old holes and then he is ****** that is how to snare your self some charlie but always make sure it is a fox run not anything else xxxx :/:lol:???:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think you will find that I posted something almost identical about 2 years ago!

If you dont have a fence to snare set a trap which encloses the most stinking rancid peice of meat/guts you can find. Make 2-3 entrances into this enclosed area making sure that these are the only entrances in for the fox. Set your snares in the same way as described before but you wil lhave to tie them to a well-driven stake to the side of the hole or a tree which you have used to create the perimeter. Usually a circular sort of shape is good but anything around those lines would work. My friend and I have caught 3 using this method so it seems pretty effective in my opinion. And as always check them daily but affoid getting too close to the area if you can as this will produce unwanted scent. We have also used the cavity created by an upturned tree root system as well. I would also echo the advice previously stated by other members about the best practice of snaring.

I'll post a diagram of what I have described as well. Except it won't let me post at work!!

Cheers,

gb.

Edited by game_boy