Just when you thought Bisley had it.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/311767/Bi...ing_events.html

Bisley to be rejected for 2012 Olympic shooting events

2012 Olympic shooting events: The final decision rests with the Olympic board.

By ShUK

Thursday, 05 March 2009

Games chiefs of the 2012 Olympics are now expected to rule out relocating the 2012 Olympic shooting events to Bisley.

They consider the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich to be cheaper in the long run, because creating a satellite venue 50 miles from London will add to the bill for athletes' accommodation and transport.

The final decision rests with the Olympic board, which consists of Sebastian Coe, head of 2012 organising committee Locog; Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell; Mayor Boris Johnson; and Colin Moynihan, chairman of the British Olympic Association.

It will meet a week before the IOC's deadline of the end of this month for confirming the choice of 2012 venues.

An Olympic source said: "The decision will come down to cost and it would be more expensive to move it to Bisley than keep it at Woolwich. There has been a rigorous process of looking at the alternatives."

Shooting groups have long argued holding the shooting events at Woolwich will not leave a legacy in the form of an international standard shooting range.

Last summer Woolwich was included in a government-commissioned cost analysis of temporary venues and the estimated costs there almost doubled to £42 million because of security and difficulties in accommodating the space needed, which is large for an Olympic event.

Well, there we have it.......the lunatics have now really taken over the asylum...!!!

Clay shooters have been dealt a real bum deal over this one, courtesy of "Lord??" Coe & his Tory pals, so much for the Conservatives supporting shooting..?? :hmm:

Very sad.

Cat :shifty:

Well, there we have it.......the lunatics have now really taken over the asylum...!!!

Clay shooters have been dealt a real bum deal over this one, courtesy of "Lord??" Coe & his Tory pals, so much for the Conservatives supporting shooting..?? :hmm:

Very sad.

Cat :shifty:

Dont blame the Tories, they are not the ones handing out the money, blame ZanuLiabour for not funding it

Bisley is the logical choice, BASC is backing Bisley and we put a bit about this in our most recent mag.

Its up to all of us to push Bisley - call or e-mail or write to your MP. It is quick and easy to do so there is no excuse not to.

A BIG problem for us could be Ms J - not a big fan of shooting, so maybe she does not want to see Bisley get the nod - shame beacuse if it did then it will still be there in the future for others to use, where as at Wooolwich the shooting stuff will be de-commissioned after the Games, what is the point in spening loads of cash just to take it down?

Spend the cash and then keep it for others to use!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Asked why not Bisley to the Olympic Finance Director when he visited my university a couple of months ago.

Sadly, Bisley is an issue because of IOC rules on players being part of the olympic village unless impossible to do so (sailing etc) and because of the land ownership around Bisley (and people understandably not giving it up cheap) trying to build anything out there was beginning to cost a fortune.

My main objection is that they're not leaving anything behind for the shooting community, and should really be developing another ground that is suitable. There is another place that is suitable, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

I think there would be more money for a shooting venue if the shooting community was doing more to widen participation and people were interested in going along to watch. Why is nobody out there creating small Skeet/Trap ranges like golf driving ranges nearer to towns? Why aren't more schools from towns/cities encouraged to bring students along more? Why can't the CPSA run cheaper courses? Shame costs can't be lowered, it's such an expensive sport to get into.

Asked why not Bisley to the Olympic Finance Director when he visited my university a couple of months ago.

Sadly, Bisley is an issue because of IOC rules on players being part of the olympic village unless impossible to do so (sailing etc) and because of the land ownership around Bisley (and people understandably not giving it up cheap) trying to build anything out there was beginning to cost a fortune.

My main objection is that they're not leaving anything behind for the shooting community, and should really be developing another ground that is suitable. There is another place that is suitable, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

I think there would be more money for a shooting venue if the shooting community was doing more to widen participation and people were interested in going along to watch. Why is nobody out there creating small Skeet/Trap ranges like golf driving ranges nearer to towns? Why aren't more schools from towns/cities encouraged to bring students along more? Why can't the CPSA run cheaper courses? Shame costs can't be lowered, it's such an expensive sport to get into.

What a complete bare faced lie.

Who is the olympic finance director? because he is an idiot.

They will not approve bisley because of all the "I told you so's" will come out of the woodwork and make the IOC look stupid.

Bisley is the logical choice as it already has a world class smallbore range as well as clay shooting facilities. OK the catering may leave a little to be desired but it will certainly be cheaper to build accomodation there than build accomodation AND a shooting facility elswhere.

What a complete bare faced lie.

Who is the olympic finance director? because he is an idiot.

They will not approve bisley because of all the "I told you so's" will come out of the woodwork and make the IOC look stupid.

Bisley is the logical choice as it already has a world class smallbore range as well as clay shooting facilities. OK the catering may leave a little to be desired but it will certainly be cheaper to build accommodation there than build accommodation AND a shooting facility elsewhere.

Dunno his name, someone from Delloite.

The ground has to be able to be reached within so many minutes from the Olympic Village, so it's not simply accommodation (as the IOC want the shooters with the rest of the village) it's infrastructure to get to and from there, which they anticipate meaning extending the rail network. All stupid IOC rules based on past games where countries would happily just build a new venue in the city and knock it down or convert it afterwards. Apparently when it was costed there was around 50 different landowners they had to liaise with in order to create a proper venue there, with everything it needs to have. They're not really building a facility as such at Woolwich either are they, they're just sticking temporary stuff up... cheap.

I'm not really pro Bisley anyway (nor against it as I haven't been). I just think it would be nice to build a proper venue that can become a club afterwards. If splitting rifle, pistol and clay shooting disciplines between different venues achieves this, then I'd rather they did that. Not keen on the current plan, just appears to be built around it looking good on TV.

It was an interesting meeting, apparently "the water cube was the most attractive building from Beijing and it was all just lights and plastic wrapping, if you see it in the daytime its ugly. So we're planning the same with the main stadium - as we don't need a new national stadium - and i think it will look good when you see what we do with it"... :good:

So hang on, what's the budget for Woolwich again? I heard it was about £50 million, so it makes me wonder where the money is going if the things being built are on the cheap.

And as for bit about the sailing having to be in the south west, what about holding it in the Thames Estuary? That sounds a little closer to London than the current venue.

*grumble*

The ground has to be able to be reached within so many minutes from the Olympic Village, ...

I've read that several times, which makes me wonder why the IOC allowed the equine events for the Beijing Olympics to be in Hong Kong. Perhaps it was politics, and nothing to do with keeping the Olympic spirit true and pure with all the competitors in one Olympic village. Or maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

So hang on, what's the budget for Woolwich again? I heard it was about £50 million, so it makes me wonder where the money is going if the things being built are on the cheap.

And as for bit about the sailing having to be in the south west, what about holding it in the Thames Estuary? That sounds a little closer to London than the current venue.

*grumble*

I would only imagine that if Woolwich was to be turned back into a functional military facility it would have temporary stuff, which would in the main be borrowed not purpose built, and therefore cheaper. I wasn't quoting anyone there.

I've read that several times, which makes me wonder why the IOC allowed the equine events for the Beijing Olympics to be in Hong Kong. Perhaps it was politics, and nothing to do with keeping the Olympic spirit true and pure with all the competitors in one Olympic village. Or maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

Dunno, maybe because of the horses, perhaps something eco?

Edited by raistrick

The whole olympic sharade is a crock of ****, the only legacy left to us will be a sodding great bill. The stadium will get sold off to O2 or similar and become an expensive concert venue.

It is starnge how noone from the 2012 committee will listen to any kind of reason.

Bisley is too far from london was the original line.

It wasn't too far from Manchester for the commonwealth games and is a bloody sight closer to london than Weymouth.

Perhaps someone should buy Seb Coe an OS map. And then someone else can show him how to read it.

I don't care if it doesn't go to bisley as long as us shooters are left with a legacy that we can actually use.

Yes, for once, MC & Cat are in complete agreement, the clay shooting fraternity have been sold down the river by Lord Coe & his mates, who simply don't give a fig about shooting, despite the fact that several Gold medals have been won in recent games by UK shooters. :good:

Cat.

Well, it's the IOC that are being the pain in the **** about it. From what I heard they'd like it at bisley, it was first obvious choice, because of the commonwealth games (and we make the rules for that). Apparently, the bidding team were told after the Manchester bid that the only city in the UK that they could put forward would be London, as there are too many bigger cities elsewhere in the world that would beat every other we have.

All they kept banging on about was inspiring children and keeping a legacy... but I dare say this same focus has been used for pretty much every other olympic bid. The olympics always inspires children, and if some of the venues are used then there is a legacy... but it's a loose term they use to mean "we inspired people to take up sport by creating heros, you have a new aquatic centre, there's your legacy" and everything else just has to be feasible :good:

Someone's got a finger in a pie somewhere. This all smells a little too much like ulterior motives to me.

Without wanting to make guesses, it's either because some could be on the take in one way or another, or because they don't want shooting to have a legacy in this country. Either one makes sense in the current climate.

Yes, for once, MC & Cat are in complete agreement, the clay shooting fraternity have been sold down the river by Lord Coe & his mates, who simply don't give a fig about shooting, despite the fact that several Gold medals have been won in recent games by UK shooters. :good:

Cat.

Hi Cat

When Lord Coe was just Sebastian, he was The President of The National Pistol Association but after the tragedy at Dunblane he hastily left the position.

So he does know a bit about competitive shooting.

Here is another link regarding the venue. http://www.sportsmansassociation.co.uk/?tag=olympic-pistol

Edited by BlaserF3

I wonder if any of the idiots on the olympic board can actually lay straight in bed at night.

They are liars plain and simple.

None of the existing ranges at Bisley are suitable for Olympic and Paralympic competition thus requiring new ranges to be built;

Woolwich Barracks have no range facilities at all so new ranges will still need to be built. The Lord Roberts centre is copletely accessible by anyone. As is the clay ranges/

The facilities at Bisley would require additional athlete and officials’ accommodation with the possibility of building a satellite village;

So will woolwich.

Their arguments do not hold any water. Basically as said previously the issue with this is leaving a legacy for shooting which they do not want to do.

If Lord Coe reads this he is welcome to PM me and I will give him my phone no.

Although he won't so it doesn't matter.