Gun cabinet question

glogin

I am going to apply for a SGC + FAC in some time. Reading some previous posts, I was thinking if it is necessary (by law) to secure gun cabinet to the wall? :yes:

I think it might be a problem in my case (rented house, landlords might not like it...)

Greg

I am going to apply for a SGC + FAC in some time. Reading some previous posts, I was thinking if it is necessary (by law) to secure gun cabinet to the wall? :yes:

I think it might be a problem in my case (rented house, landlords might not like it...)

Greg

They will almost certainly insist it is attached to a wall, and will most probably insist that the wall is structural, i.e. blockwork and not a stud wall. To a determined ***** a non attached safe is little more than a convenient box in which to carry away all your guns!!

Tell your landlord it will be fitted somewhere discreet and that you will provide him with an assurance in writing that you will make good any plaster/decoration if/when the safe is removed. We are only talking 4 drill holes for anchor bolts, nothing structural.

Edited to add: to answer your question whether it is necessary by law - no. It isn't written that it MUST be attached to a wall, it merely says that you have to make reasonable security provisions such that no unauthorised people can gain access to the guns. It is then open to the police to interpret what those reasonable provisions are - and most forces say - attached to a wall! :lol:

Edited by alexm

Greg,

I had an issue in that my house is a modern build and as such is timber frame, brick clad. To attach to a brick wall would have meant cutting through plasterboard, insulation and damp membrane - I didn't want to do that. My cabinet lies on the floor of the spare room, butted up against the wall (skirting removed) and screwed to the floor joists. I used eight M10 * 70mm coach screws which meant drilling more holes in the back of the cabinet (not too difficult). I proposed this method to my FEP when he visited and he agreed it instantly - no problems. So that's what I did and my certificate arrived last Thursday :yes:

PM me if you want any more help

Steve

If it was only a shotgun then a cable would be fine or even a trigger lock but when firearms are involved they are abit more twitchy, As mentioned previously different forces different rules, also it depends on the individual FEO, i lived in a rented house and attached it to the chimney breast using 4 bolts, when we left the landlords were happy as it was 4 holes in the loft & couldn`t be seen, when i installed the cabinet my FEO stopped just short of using a crowbar to get it off the wall, when i moved and came under a new FEO he tuggged it abit and just said to be honest if someone is going to break into your house and they want your guns they will get them no matter how many bolts are securing it.

All in all it is a suck it and see thing, you FEO will not mind popping round if you ask him and walk round your house with you giving you appropriate locations.

I'm a landlord myself, my advice is to tell your landlord you what you want to do, in essence you want to put 4-6 holes in the wall, and that you will put the wall back to it's original condition when you leave the property (filler the holes and repaint the wall). There's no reason he would say no, suggest you are willing to put it in writing if he wants.

another thing to consider is that if your landlord knows you have guns in the house, he has access to the cabinet. obviously he would still have to get in to it or get it off the wall (or try to find the keys) but I think it is something else to consider.