Woodies - best point of aim?

redkite

I shoot woodies from a hide using ground decoys. I always pace out 30 yards from the hide and then site my horseshoe beyond that on the basis that they will land 30 yds or less from me. Obviously my rifle is set for that distance

I spend a lot of hours contemplating my navel doing this but I usually end up with one or two - best day is eight!

That said, I find taking a head shot difficult sometimes with all that bobbing about! So I tend to go for the throat. This sometimes results in me hitting the crop which doesn't result in a clean kill and I have to hit them with a second shot. I hate it when this happens. I have a .22 Rapid 1 and keep it well topped up. I go back to the gunshop for a refill every 60 shots or so (280cc bottle) and he usually tells me that there is still 150 bar in it and gives me a tired look! :good:

Apart from the head, what is the next best target for a clean kill with a woodie?

Thanks

redkite

I have posted a few tips on this before.. you might find them with a search but here is a summary..

Aim for the neck but from the front you have to hit above the crop and below the head. From the side works well in the neck. From the back is a good shot and you can kill cleanly between the shoulder blades (between wings from behind) although this is easier if you are higher than the bird shooting from an elavated position. From the side you can shoot just in front of the wing which will slip the pellet into the chest behind the breasts (The breasts are pellet proof) for this shot you have to be very accurate. From below you can shoot under the wing into the middle of the bird's body. Finally, one of my favourite shots in to shoot a pigeon head on. When it bobs it's head down to eat some grain aim for the head and the pellet will hit it's head and travel through it's neck into it's body producing the cleanest kill possible.

I have posted a few tips on this before.. you might find them with a search but here is a summary..

Aim for the neck but from the front you have to hit above the crop and below the head. From the side works well in the neck. From the back is a good shot and you can kill cleanly between the shoulder blades (between wings from behind) although this is easier if you are higher than the bird shooting from an elavated position. From the side you can shoot just in front of the wing which will slip the pellet into the chest behind the breasts (The breasts are pellet proof) for this shot you have to be very accurate. From below you can shoot under the wing into the middle of the bird's body. Finally, one of my favourite shots in to shoot a pigeon head on. When it bobs it's head down to eat some grain aim for the head and the pellet will hit it's head and travel through it's neck into it's body producing the cleanest kill possible.

Thanks for this .....very useful.

best

RedKite

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Red, yep!! shot me a pigeon this morning, head shot! :D i knocked him straight of a branch 30 foot up. Stupid pigeon was still alive when he hit the deck, i have found shooting pigeon in the head dosen't always kill them right away. But i think if you were to shoot them side on and smash through the wing and shoulder it would do the trick. :yes:

Don't shoot them in the crop as its full of what they've been eating and the pellet won't do much damage :bye2: . Also have you tried using lofters it work for me.... i know its only one but i had to go pick my son up at 0900hrs for karate which didn't help me :( . I'm out again tomorrow having another go! I also shoot with a air rifle. :(

Rgards

Mags

Redkite- the best way to get within 30 yards of a woodie is probably roost shooting but now spring is here the leaves are coming out therefore you cant see through all the cover. but alot of the time you can get in range of woodies by being fully camouflaged and moving slow and quiet and using every bit of cover you can- this seems to work for me as in the last two days ive shot two pigeons with this method :drinks: . so give them a try but leave the roost shooting for autumn/winter :good: - hope this helps :D

I try to decoy mine in to the trees overhead when using the airgun. Two lofters in the low branches and some deeks scattered around the base often works for me. I add shot pigeons to the deeks as I go along.

I shoot for head, neck, under the wing into the heart, and between the shoulder blades from behind.

My best day so far has been 17, not the numbers you can achieve with a shotty but very satisfying none the less.

T

Redkite- the best way to get within 30 yards of a woodie is probably roost shooting but now spring is here the leaves are coming out therefore you cant see through all the cover. but alot of the time you can get in range of woodies by being fully camouflaged and moving slow and quiet and using every bit of cover you can- this seems to work for me as in the last two days ive shot two pigeons with this method :) . so give them a try but leave the roost shooting for autumn/winter :D - hope this helps :D

good advice!!

i just got permision to shoot in a small gully, filled with oak trees. i COVERED myself in cammo, crept in at sun set and had 2 woodies, was really chuffed as i had a couple of goes before where i just scared them from there trees! was on my belly most of the time, had to scramble silently down a bank to sneak a pellet through loads of branches - was excelent when i found and got the pelett through. tasted excelent too. The key is stealth and scaning every branch before they hear you!

Im not sure of the best place but heres a list of the worst that i have found over the years-the branch that they are sitting on-the branch that you never saw just in front of them-any area around the pigeon -the bunch of branches that look like a pigeon but turns out not to be-the area that the pigeon just jumped from-the pigeon sitting right out in the open (cos your bloody guns not loaded)and the pigeon sitting on the police station roof. :good:

Im not sure of the best place but heres a list of the worst that i have found over the years-the branch that they are sitting on-the branch that you never saw just in front of them-any area around the pigeon -the bunch of branches that look like a pigeon but turns out not to be-the area that the pigeon just jumped from-the pigeon sitting right out in the open (cos your bloody guns not loaded)and the pigeon sitting on the police station roof. :rolleyes:

lol

Thanks all - some top advice there.

Best

redkite