Shooting pigeons in woods with an air rifle

Greenbat

Ayup,

I have a .22 air rifle, bought off my Uncle Gordon for my Dad at christmas. I also live at the bottom of a huge hill, with lots of trees and no access apart from through my garden. Said hillside often has pigeons and rabbits merrily frolicking about. How do I go about combining the two, to provide some animals suitable for cooking and eating?

I had some weapon training in cadets, so I know how to handle a rifle safely (and the air rifle is a bit less powerful than an SA80-A2!). I've had a good tramp round the woods, and I know I can safely shoot uphill without endangering anyone. My main problem is getting near enough the flippin things to even take aim.

Cheers

Phill

Hi and welcome. Try to keep the wind in your face for the rabbits, wear drab clothing for both, try to get into woods and wait for pigeons, let them land and count to 60 before even trying to aim at them. More to it than that but hope this helps you start. :blush:

Hi and welcome. Try to keep the wind in your face for the rabbits, wear drab clothing for both, try to get into woods and wait for pigeons, let them land and count to 60 before even trying to aim at them. More to it than that but hope this helps you start. :lol:

Thanks. How can I tell which trees pigeons will perch on? Do they have a particular home/species preference, or just sit anywhere? Could I attract them with food? Also what weather and time of day is best for finding them?

Ayup,

I have a .22 air rifle, bought off my Uncle Gordon for my Dad at christmas. I also live at the bottom of a huge hill, with lots of trees and no access apart from through my garden. Said hillside often has pigeons and rabbits merrily frolicking about. How do I go about combining the two, to provide some animals suitable for cooking and eating?

I had some weapon training in cadets, so I know how to handle a rifle safely (and the air rifle is a bit less powerful than an SA80-A2!). I've had a good tramp round the woods, and I know I can safely shoot uphill without endangering anyone. My main problem is getting near enough the flippin things to even take aim.

Cheers

Phill

Firstly, do you own the land or have permission to shoot on it?

As has already been said, drab clothing. Also no shine from the rifle, no movement from you once in place.

You can spend time in the evening watching the trees to see which ones they roost in, but if your eager like the rest of us, then take the advice of walking around and looking for droppings under certain branches.

Pigeons often roost where they have the best vantage point and all around view. Ash is good as they tend to have open branches, oak is another favourite. Remember also that they may change roosts during times of bad weather and sit away from the wind, or lower in the trees.

Only observation can teach you what you need to know, so sitting quietly one evening with a pair of binoculars is as good as anything.

Oh, and finally, make a hide!

All the best and good luck

T

i know it sounds a bit unconventional but have you tried lamping the pigeons at night? I used to do this quite often when i needed some decoys and had none in the freezer. When you shine the lamp on them they just sit there, unwilling to take off in the dark or mesmerised by the light. I know to some people this method will sound a tad unsporting because you get some real easy shots, but hey, when there's a need.... Has anyone else done this?

Salop-definately A2's, A1's in the first year. I'm not sure we were meant to have them...I'll freely admit I was rubbish at the army stuff though. I was on track to be funded through uni, then do Sandhurst and join the REME (which should give you a clue about which CCF I was at!), but realised I am nowhere near good enough.

These were taken from a willow tree yesterday. I set up two rocking decoys on low branches and waited till the others dropped in. All had been on clover and fallen maize.

moto_0787.jpg

This is what I mean about no barrel shine which can alert them to your presence.

moto_0786.jpg

Hope you get some good sport.

All the best

T

It`s hardly very challenging or sporting shooting something while it is sleeping.

:good: which is why i mentioned it in my post (the unsporting bit) also mentioned was,it was only done to bag a couple of decoys not to be as you say "challenging or sporting" and finally, the birds were not asleep,just reluctant to fly off in the dark,as also mentioned if you'd bothered to read the post properly :good:

:good: which is why i mentioned it in my post (the unsporting bit) also mentioned was,it was only done to bag a couple of decoys not to be as you say "challenging or sporting" and finally, the birds were not asleep,just reluctant to fly off in the dark,as also mentioned if you'd bothered to read the post properly :good:

It wasn`t a direct attack on you or anyone it was a general observation, so feel free to climb down off your box.

It wasn`t a direct attack on you or anyone it was a general observation, so feel free to climb down off your box.

:good: In that case my apologies and may i say how very intelligent it was of you to make such a 'general observation'and bless us with your knowledge :good:

:hmm: did'nt know that, won't be doing that anymore then if that's the case

Jon YES it is illegal to use a lamp to shoot birds at night but you can if they are in buildings... :good:

Even lamping ferals in a building is illegal unless you have a permit... taking any bird with a light of any kind is a no no. Even magpies :hmm:

WRONG you do not need a permit just the permission from the person who owns the building..

Did some stables for one of my farmers the other night got over 30 in 1/2hr he was getting grief from the better half as it was right next to there bed room and the noise was driving her mad.. :good: