coniston sg tomorrow

viking

There was talk a while ago about a PW contingent descending on this shoot, but I think it fizzled out. I think Paulos was going but I think something else came up. I was going, but forgot all about it (God I'm organised :good: ). I can't go now, and not heard it mentioned lately.

On the subject of these shoots.... :blush:

I had to snort when I read the latest CPSA Pull magazine. Considering that the CPSA deregistered Worsley, I was quite surprised to see the Northern entry in the Regions section, wondering why grounds such as Coniston, Kelbrook and Worsley aren't bending over backwards to host more registered shoots :blush:

Oh, how we laaaaarfed :blush:

I just wish that they would put on a 100 bird layout every week instead of their Sport Trap layouts and the long wait to shoot.

I have not been there for over a year because of the long waits involved waiting to shoot, and the constant trailing backwards and forwards.

It's a shame because it could be the best ground in the North.

not been to worsley yet but need to get there as iv been told by many thats its a top ground, never heard of any shoots at kelbrook. and only this one at coniston,

i go to coniston every thursday and most sundays and i never have to wait, i just pick something thats not busy, but 905 of the time i can get on a sporting layout, they have re done the clubhouse now and its massive and amazing, and there expanding the ground at the moment, i love it there,

I visited Coniston last friday and can second vikings coments, great ground, best i've been to so far, and with the amount of work there doing it can only impve it.

Followed closly by worsley I may add..

Webton today

BTW Coniston, has food and drink between 12 - 2 monday to friday, and very nice it is to, there is also a tea machine for outside of those times.

I just wish Catton hall was open for none reg'ed shooters at the weekend

Coniston is a great shoot with a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere - well worth a visit.

Worsley, in my opinion, has changed remarkably during the past 12 months with a lot of development to the ground (especially so far this year) and the addition of a soon to be opened Skeet and ABT range with talk of a DTL range in the future. The monthly club Sporting comps have become a lot more enjoyable too with a greater variety of birds so :yes: from me :blink:

I find it hard to pick between the two grounds at the moment - although like a visit to the village butchers near Coniston every few months :good:

Worsley, in my opinion, has changed remarkably during the past 12 months with a lot of development to the ground (especially so far this year) and the addition of a soon to be opened Skeet and ABT range with talk of a DTL range in the future. The monthly club Sporting comps have become a lot more enjoyable too with a greater variety of birds so :blink: from me :yes:

Yes, he's spending a lot of dosh at the moment. The new system to replace Claymate comes soon too. :oops: An electronic card system apparently, should be interesting. They will pre-programme a card with the required number of clays, plus a no-birds allowance and away you go. The birds you shoot are deducted from the stored balance :good:

Some good testing targets there lately and seems fewer no-birds to me (though we did have a few on Saturday :yes:

Yes, he's spending a lot of dosh at the moment. The new system to replace Claymate comes soon too. :good: An electronic card system apparently, should be interesting. They will pre-programme a card with the required number of clays, plus a no-birds allowance and away you go. The birds you shoot are deducted from the stored balance :blink:

Some good testing targets there lately and seems fewer no-birds to me (though we did have a few on Saturday :yes:

New card system does sound interesting - hopefully it'll work as advertised :oops: Just don't go losing your card!

Agree on the fewer no-birds too - maybe the (slightly) warmer weather makes them less brittle???

New card system does sound interesting - hopefully it'll work as advertised :blink: Just don't go losing your card!

Agree on the fewer no-birds too - maybe the (slightly) warmer weather makes them less brittle???

There are a few concerns about it among members, but hopefully, it will work as well as they seem to expect it to. The main concerns are the allowances of clays over and above what you pay for. I understand there will be an allowance added for no birds and another allowance added (for members only) to replace the members stamp card system, where you get a free 100 bird shoot for every 10 paid visits. The card system is being sacked, to be replaced with another (hopefully 10%) allowance. :yes:

The only problem I can see is with no birds. Currently, they are very fair and generally trusting. If you have a bad day with no birds, but keep a rough note of which traps were offending, they tend to write them off. The new system will apparently involve you being given an allowance over what you've paid for (I suspect 5%). This is fine, unless you have a particularly bad day for no birds. However, I would have thought that if there was a day like that, there would be a specific reason for it, that would be known about, so they would be able to give you an "adjustment" if it could be seen to be a genuine problem.

Time will tell. Apparently, the Claymate system that they have at the moment is becoming troublesome and unreliable, having been repaired and added to over many years, so it will need replacing anyway.

Edited by Chard

I guess that it will come down to how often you shoot, in the sense that if they give a flat percentage for the no birds then some days you'll benefit slightly and others you might lose out slightly. Over time i'm sure that this would even out and have no doubt that the percentage would be changed if their inital calculations were slightly out.

Do any of the trap systems have a way of detecting no-birds as that would surely help things along.....