going to the CLA and taking my shotgun..

Hi, my wife and I with my folks later this year are going to the CLA Game Fair.

we are staying in a B&B for two nights. Both my old man and I plan on taking our shotguns with us. Am I ok taking the shotgun into my room with me? Should i take the fore end into the B&B and leave the stock (or vice versa) so a full gun isn't left anywhere?

how do other people handle this when travelling away from home?

I have a couple of padlocks with a long bit (for putting down a pistol barrell) they come with guns when bought in county where my old mans friends are (upstate NY somewhere) so take fore ends in with us and lock both trigger gaurds to the bottom of the boot and chuck the dog bed over the top of them so they can't be seen. I like that.

Thanks peoples. I never want to do anything to put our sport into disrepute and thought i should check.

I have a couple of padlocks with a long bit (for putting down a pistol barrell) they come with guns when bought in county where my old mans friends are (upstate NY somewhere) so take fore ends in with us and lock both trigger gaurds to the bottom of the boot and chuck the dog bed over the top of them so they can't be seen. I like that.

Thanks peoples. I never want to do anything to put our sport into disrepute and thought i should check.

On Sunday i had to go straight from shooting to a open weekend at a very large fishing tackle shop in Nantwich. Had to be there as promoting the fishing club and Im the secretary!.

I broke my gun up. put the stock in a large holdall and took it in with me and kept it right by me where I was. I left the barrels and under piece hid in different parts of the car well out of sight.

I also have a lock i can put over the trigger which i leave on when the gun is in the car whilst travelling.

Guest topshot_2k

i take mine down, put trigger lock on and secure it in th b&b bedroom then take it with me in the day. all places i have stayed have been very helpful :rolleyes:

And if you don't have a lockable cubby hole in the car?

I do have anchor points in the boot though. (Mitsubishi Pajero)

I have a pajero too. What I do is lock the stock in the boot using one of those plastic coated steel cable locks through two of the anchor points in the boot and the trigger guard. Then I put the barrels and fore end into the gunslip and take into the hotel room with me. That way there is no complete gun anywhere. Back up close to a wall too if you can so the back door can't be opened. I know the seats fold down dead easy in the Pajero but it's one less entry point to worry about and it will mean they won't have easy access to try and overcome the cable lock.

Take your certificate in with you too, and preferably any ammo.

I usually don't inform the hotel unless for some reason I have to take a complete gun in with me (like a rifle). Them knowing doesn't increase the security any so there is no point in telling them really. If you do need to take a complete gun in then it is probably courteous to tell them, and probably a good idea if they have a strong room or safe to put the bolt/fore end or other vital component in it so again the gun is disabled.

The requirement of your license is that the you take reasonable precautions to ensure the adequate safety of the fire-arm.

Making it impossible to steal all the parts to fire it is a sensible and accepted way of doing this.

Separate the gun to barrel, action/stock, and fore-end.

Lock the barrels in the boot of the vehicle, or safety wire them to something out of sight if its an estate.

Lock the fore-end in the glove compartment or take it with you.

Keep the action in the B&B room

The chances of a break in to all three to get all the gun parts are remote, and its unlikely even if one area was accessed any-one would pinch just part of a gun.