Nippers

Hi all, I go out shooting regularly and often think about taking my son. He comes with me to shoot targets when i'm zeroing and shoots the AAs200 with bipod, when he puts his mind to it can be a good shot!. ;) He hasn't got the hang of distances yet as that will take time obviously, but is quiet eager to slot something. I tell him theres more than just killing something,there's fieldcraft and all sorts of other things he needs to learn. He also dosen't have the patients to sit and wait for something and can get bored quiet easily

He is 8 and lives with me as his mum moved to Bristol, i'm just wandering how many of you take your kids out shooting and what effect it has on them? :lol: I will wait out for your comments, thanks for reading. :good:

Regards

Mags

Edited by magpie_assassin

Guest topshot_2k

i dont have kids but i started when i was around that age with airgun, and i always used to go out with my dad when he went shooting -this taught me a lot about quarry, fieldcraft etc.

Dont force him into it but make it fun, safe and enjoyable and he will want to get more into it :good:

I started shooting around 7 or 8 years age with an air rifle, I think it’s something you take up like any other interest, weather it be shooting or stamp collecting and that interest either grows or falls by the weigh side as you get older, most kids can’t sit still for more than a minute, patience grows with age. If your son shows an interest in shooting take him along, let him see what you have to do on a typical day out, my daughter wanted and nagged me for about a year before I was convinced she was truly interested, and after coming out with me for about 8 sessions realised it’s not all about shooting there are lot’s of other things that come into play on a day out, but she learned that she is not a shooter. However my shooting mate started to bring out his nephew as he showed interest , and the boy developed into a fair shooter.

Hi, The younger the better so he knows from a early age about safe use of arms ;) , i when out with my dad from about 6 we use to go hunting with his shotgun had my first use of it about 10, still remember the impact it had in my shoulder :lol: it use to kick like hell, had a first use of my uncle .38 revolver at that age that was ok to use, so 8 is not too you :good:

Edited by shootfirst

They are never to young

Both my boys love it(15 and 11). And have been involved with Shooting and learning about the countryside for years now.

This weekend they have both been helping make the flight pond.

So they have been leaving at 7am and not getting home till 7pm. And they are loving every minute of it.

xxxxSuzy

:good: Thanks guys... your comments have helped a little in that were shooting tomorrow, doing some range work and then we'll have a dabble in hunting, and see how he gets on. :drool:

Regards

Mags

My son started 18 months ago aged 7 with an air rifle, shooting at paper targets and a metal knockdown target. He enjoyed that and this year has had several goes with the .410 whilst we've been out on the clays. To start with he just had a go firing the gun to get a feel of it, but last time he wanted to have a go at shooting at clays and started hitting them :hmm:

Hope your lad enjoys it. Let us know how he gets on.