POWER CUT

radio1ham

well living in middle of a town centre and still get power cuts , ive more power cuts here than when i used to live at my other house which was in a countryside village

but well at least i still got my internet running , running modem from a 7amp battery and laptop using its own battery and when that goes flat il plug in my inverter onto my 24amp lamping battery

but i guess thats life what can we do (nothing)

well leckys back on now but no doubt will go off again

Edited by radio1ham

Power cuts or "brown outs" will become more frequent in the very near future, due to the government not getting its finger out and investing in REAL energy sources like nuclear rather than a few glorified windmills.

I am planning the addition of my own back-up generator system with the ability to consider heating addition to the house (CHP)

I think the good old Lister Engines are the way forward

I was listening to radio 4 a month or two ago and there was a programe discussing wind energy, basicly it won't work,

I live half way up a mountain, and I've looked into getting a turbine and despite the amount of wind we get it wouldn't be very efficient at all,

you have to take into account the number of days without wind the number of days without enough wind and the number of days when theres too much wind, basicly it works out that the turbine would be stood still for nearly 6 mths of the year if not more, the one power supply that is worth looking at is water turbines, if you have a small stream next to your house you can do it, I supose we're lucky as we have the River Usk, but it is about 3 or 400 yards away. that would be a lot of armourcable, whats that now about £7 per foot.

Generators are ok but with the cost of fuel and maintainance are they really that efficient, I know for a lot of people they are the way to go, but I think it's worth looking at everything. I would love to be totaly inderpendant of the services if for no other reason than to give then the finger.

We only get electricity, our water comes from a bore hole 220 foot down, no mains drainage, no gas.

well living in middle of a town centre and still get power cuts , ive more power cuts here than when i used to live at my other house which was in a countryside village

but well at least i still got my internet running , running modem from a 7amp battery and laptop using its own battery and when that goes flat il plug in my inverter onto my 24amp lamping battery

but i guess thats life what can we do (nothing)

well leckys back on now but no doubt will go off again

Power cuts or "brown outs" will become more frequent in the very near future, due to the government not getting its finger out and investing in REAL energy sources like nuclear rather than a few glorified windmills.

I am planning the addition of my own back-up generator system with the ability to consider heating addition to the house (CHP)

I think the good old Lister Engines are the way forward

fortunately the french have bailed us out and the next tranche of nuclear should be on the go by 2017,

cheers KW

A farm i used to work on a bit at the foot of snowdon has got a small water turbine in a nissan hut near the house, it runs 24/7 fed by a 1 foot pipe which builds up the pressure by gravity. It has had one new set of bearings in 25 years and runs flat out which is amazing!! they must have saved a fortune in electric, but when you put the kettle on, the lights dim!! worth it though

I was listening to radio 4 a month or two ago and there was a programe discussing wind energy, basicly it won't work,

I live half way up a mountain, and I've looked into getting a turbine and despite the amount of wind we get it wouldn't be very efficient at all,

you have to take into account the number of days without wind the number of days without enough wind and the number of days when theres too much wind, basicly it works out that the turbine would be stood still for nearly 6 mths of the year if not more, the one power supply that is worth looking at is water turbines, if you have a small stream next to your house you can do it, I supose we're lucky as we have the River Usk, but it is about 3 or 400 yards away. that would be a lot of armourcable, whats that now about £7 per foot.

Generators are ok but with the cost of fuel and maintainance are they really that efficient, I know for a lot of people they are the way to go, but I think it's worth looking at everything. I would love to be totaly inderpendant of the services if for no other reason than to give then the finger.

We only get electricity, our water comes from a bore hole 220 foot down, no mains drainage, no gas.

If you live in Usk you should go to the Black Bear pub just near there somewhere! good food, good beer, o and run by my friend :good::drool: