99.9% Give Up :(

Cosha

Oh Hi Guys n girls

im really starting to get fed up!

just got back from a whole days shooting and nothing again!!

ill list all the kit i am using somone point out what i am doing wrong!

right

Cammo:

advantage Timber cyclone jacket

advantage Timber cyclone trousers

advantage Timber gloves

advantage Timber head net

advantage Timber hat

Gun:

Hw77k

silincer

wide angle 4 x 40 scope

dekks:

12 full body pigeons with sticks

10 x 10 cammo netting

4 poles

i dont know whats wrong with me but this is what i do

i set up my net/ hide and then put out my deeks in a flat V shape with them facing into the wind at all differnt angles!

i am def in a flight path for them i do see a fair few of them!

i sat there for 8 hours i just felt like a right t**t :*) :lol:??????:huh::lol:

what am i doing wrong?

i so despirate!

somone please help me!

also i know i should not really ask but is there anyone in the wiltshire area that could take me out on day on there forays i would not bring me gun just would watch!

theres rabbits, crows, pigeons, corvids, rats etc...

all with in my shoot but i can never lock on to one!!

cheers guys ben

ive never really had much luck with decoys and an aigun

tbh, your probably better off just wandering around very quietly, watching wind etc, and making sure that you dont siloett yourself against the sun

other than this........um dont wear a smelly deoderant.......try not to clean you camo gear too much, and just generally watch where you walk and what you tread on

eventually you will get the better of them

i know the feeling, i spent many an evening sitting in fields with my dad foxing when i didnt shoot, and about 75% of the time we saw nothing, but the reward when you do is great.........stick with it

good hunting

If your not having any luck decoying them into the pattern...try placing them NEAR not under a tree (still in the flight path) more tend to go for the tree 1st that the ground. How far apart are you putting the deeks on the floor- i have a book on decoying and it says put them about 3-5 yards apart.

Make sure the pigeons are facing the wind!

Though if u arnt having any luck on all types of quarry- i dont know what to suggest (just really hiding and waitin is the best bet for squirrils and rabbits down wind rember) where you know of a hot spot. IMO of corse

Edited by Magpies are gay

Look for a "sitty tree" and set up with a few decoys near that, the other way to bag a few with an air rifle is to catch them as they come in to roost. Never going to have big bags unless you get a shotgun, no guarantees even then mind you.

I'm a bit far away to take you out, most of our shooting at the moment is on the drilling which will be held up again now due to the poxy weather.

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosha...

Dont get too frustrated... Airgun hunting for pigeon with decoys is a very Hit and miss affair.

I have had some good days when they are feeding on certain crops with total disregard for decoys or danger but they are very few and far between.

Do you have any wooded areas or scrub on your shoot where you could settle in and wait without resorting to a hide. Hides can in themselves be very conspicuous and when using an airgun it is best to rely on stealth rather than to remain in one place for too long.

I often hunt with my airgun by just sitting and waiting near to points where I know the vermin will appear. Rabbit burrows, sitty trees, and water troughs being favourite places. Water troughs in particular attract crows, jackdaws, pigeon throughout the day especially in the height of summer.

Take a trip around your shoot at dusk or dawn without your gun and see where the rabbits are congregating to feed and the routes they take from the burrow. In pasture or scrub these are often well worn tracks and littered with droppings.

Sitting quietly at the base of a tree in a wood can be very fruitful in camo gear it is amazing what will appear on the wood floor.

Dont give up... I recall some days in my early teans with my old BSA and Ex army battle dress when I spent day after day without even seeing any quarry. It was there OK but I didnt have a clue what to do right. after my first few kills I started to recognise patterns in movements of the quarry and I knew roughly where they would be on the shoot.

Finally if you are to be successfull in decoying pigeons to land the decoy pattern has to be very realistic and your hide needs to be very well concealed and effective. I have not had much success with shell deeks when trying to decoy birds to land and have always found that just 2 or 3 full bodied deeks work better.

Where in Wilts are you exactly. I have a couple of magpie and crow deeks you are welcome to have on an extended loan. PM me with your location.

Cheers

FM.

Hi every one,

Thank you very much for all your replys!

i think im just trying way to hard, looking to hard for the kill and not waiting it out!

i almost almost had my first kill ever today!

as soon as i got to my shoot i seen a woody around 40 ft away sat tall on a old telegraph pole of some sort!

he never seen me, the crosshairs were where i wanted them and i hesitated the shoot, he flew off! :huh:

stilll.......

i think im not being quiet and sharp enough! i feel my cammo is now up to good standard, but my field craft (what it all comes down too) is well rubbish!

theres 4-5 sittys that they sit in! all of them i stalk (try too anyway), but i read today that they have 270 degree vision without turning there head!

and to be honest i would not sit there with someone with something shinny pointing at me...would you!

fisherman mike you have make this fourm a very warm and welcome place just like evryone else does! i must just thank everyone for that, know in the past some fourms are useless and full of arrogant fools..........

tomorrow i am going to go out and make a hide for the rabbits and a good hide for the birds! with out my gun!!!

i know what will happen when i dont have my gun there will be millions of them all in kicking distance!

another factor of my fustration is that living in a town birds come to your feet after scraps! i kind of forget there not so tame in the wild!

i enjoy this sport so much i dont want to give it up like that!

after my first kill i think it will get better!

ok ok my hands are up im a newbee and i am still learning!

:lol::lol:???

nice to hear a renewed enthusiasm,

another thing to bare in mind, is that if you make a hide rabbits will not really get back to their normal routine for a few hours, so if you make one, it might not hurt to leave it 2 days or so, and then get sat in v early one morning, or late afternoon, and wait for the sun set.........the best time...

Cosha,

I have a place in Wiltshire where i shoot sometimes, the friend who owns the fields phones me when the birds are feeding well on them.

When i next get the call (could not be for a while, could be next week) i'll give you a shout. I can show you the basics and we could have a good day. "Could is the word" :huh:

The best advice i can give over the net is to spend as much time in a part of the field that gives you the most view and just watch. Take the air rifle and make a hide and put some decoys out but keep an eye on what the birds are doing around other parts of the field/trees/woods/roads keeping note on what they're doing at differant parts of the day.

I'll be in contact when i hear something.

Don't give up, soon your'll be baging them up and then you'll be posting

"I shot 84 pigeons today and i don't know what to do with them! :lol: :lol:

All the best, Adam

hi guys again!

thanks for the replys again guys very helpful!!!! :lol:

(sorry do i say thak you too much if it annoys everyone ill stop just it takes you guys time and effort for this FREE help)!!

i got my binos yesterday, in fact i have not got them out the packet yet!

i wanted to begin this new found hobbie of mine the right way!

i stress myself "safety first" "safety First"

i am forever checking my safety catch, my surroundings and i semi stip my gun once a month for wear and tear, little things like that i often think about!

is this good pratice? i just feel alot better that i know everything is order and that no silly little mistakes are made that could cost!

just a little word of warning i seen a video clip of a gent getting his fingers cocked in a bear trap style air gun!

the thought still makes my tummy turn belive me!

i really must must take some pictures for you guys! i mean your all helping me out with this muched welcomed advice and you all dont really know me!

thanks guys!

do you think lamping is a good idea yet or shall i master my daytime quarry first?

i feel i should wait!!?? any suggestions?

thanks so so much everyone (god im doing it again im not a geek honest) :huh:

Lamping quite often gets good results but make sure you know the land and make sure someone knows you're going out, tell them when you think you'll get back and text them on your return or a text to say you'll be late.

Common sence i know but it's better to be safe.

Have a look around an hour before dark to see where they are, try and do this when no ones been about for the afternoon, then go back another night and go to the places you saw them.

A lamp in the eyes seems to make them freeze for a while so you get a chance to take aim, it might be worth taking a quite mate with you to hold and aim the lamp.

Try not to use the light too much, try and use it only to catch the rabbits eyes, when you see the eyes in the light then get to a close distance quitely and then when in range use the lamp, take aim and fire.

Shooting in the dark is alot more difficult, trying to see the target in the cross hair or should i say trying to get the target in your cross hair. :huh:

Good luck for your next trip.

P.s. You can't say thanks too much, at least you are making sence when you post and are asking for advice in the right way.

You're doing well. :lol: