Bitch producing milk?

Huntinlass

What are the reasons that my 2 year old ESS bitch has swollen teets and she is producing milk.

She came into season about 2 months ago now. She was not mated or been near a dog. She has not got fat either.

What do you think-will this pass?

--I don't no much about false pregnancy or what the symtoms are as I have never seen it- don't no if it happens to a unmated bitch or mated bitch!- could this be what it is?

Edited by Huntinlass

Will be a fantom pregnancy. My lab had it with her first season.

Is she gathering up toys?

Try not to rub her belly as this stimulates more milk production. Get down the vets and they will give you something like galastop which dryes em up.

If you don't intend to breed from her the best thing to do will be get her spayed when shes finished as this will happen most times now.

In season 2 month ago and now producing milk :hmm:

Get the whelping bed ready :good:

Its unlikely she will be producing milk without giving birth unless it was a phantom.

This is a very common occurrence and, provided the teats don't get hard and feel hot to the touch, nothing to worry about.

If that should happen then it could indicate mastitis and a trip to your vet is very necessary.

I currently have a Portuguese Podengo with the same symptoms and all I am doing is keeping an eye on her.

Don't panic, Wolves and wild dogs do this as a matter of course. It helps the pack to rear more/stronger young.

We often forget the true ancestry of the 'wolf' in our houses!

GH

If she does start panting and pacing just stay up with her. Don't bother with a vet as there are as good as useless with a whelping.

Plops out - - - break the bag - - - tear the cord - - - stick it on a teet.

Just bare that in mind in case :good:

I thought it may be a false pregnancy- she - as far as i know hasn't got near a dog while in season. Her stomach has not dropped and she has no obvisous movement inside her and the fact that she is producing milk means if she was in pup it would be a matter of a week to go. She has no toys but she has been acting silly while out for a walk and out of the kennel.

I have no intention yet to breed her as she is still in training- but I will definately keep a eye on her over the next couple of weeks to make sure she doesn't drop even one pup- she really is not fat at all.

I shall not touch her belly no more and let her dry up.

• 1 month later...

i wouldnt worry, just keep an eye on her. as previously mentioned it is not uncommon for a bitch to have a phantom pregnancy with most of her seasons. Sometimes bitches like this are handy to have around as they can be helpful in raring a litter if the mum rejects them etc. Again as metnioned by greenhunter just make sure her teats dont become hard and painful to the touch.

keith

i wouldnt worry, just keep an eye on her. as previously mentioned it is not uncommon for a bitch to have a phantom pregnancy with most of her seasons. Sometimes bitches like this are handy to have around as they can be helpful in raring a litter if the mum rejects them etc. Again as metnioned by greenhunter just make sure her teats dont become hard and painful to the touch.

keith

yes she dried up within a 2 weeks of starting producing milk. she didn't go hard just naturally dried up. We may mate her next time she comes in season anyway but if not I will see if she swells up again. see if it becomes a regular thing with her.

my female staffi does this all the time i have paid so much money out in vet bills for the meds for her its stupid , every time i go to get her spade she comes in to season , or had a phantom pregnancy think she has had 4 in the two years we have had her .

i wouldnt worry too much and personally i wouldnt spend anymore money on the vet bills. I had a staff bitch exactly the same and had a phantom pregnancy everytime she came into season. Unfortunatley there was an accidental mating last year with her and a dogue de bordeaux , she took a massive infection after the breeding due to her being 6 yrs and need an emergency operation which resulted in her being spayed, end of the problem too.

keith