lambs killed fox or badgers???

Hi Folks I was recently asked by a gent to go and sort out what he described as a fox problem.

Two lambs had been taken over two nights after being there for six hours with NV and lamp calling as usual nothing was seen and I mean nothing not a pair of eyes anywhere.

It ten turns out that he had found the remains of one of the lambs up in the next field he said all that was there was the saddle with the rear legs still attached.

Now I have been shooting quite a while and have never heard of a fox ripping lambs in two I have found them with there necks torn and the soft bits eaten into,the fact that the lamb has been ripped in two suggests to me that it was a badger.

Am I wrong ??? The guy hasn't seen any foxes and no one in the area has had any fox problems but the guy still insists its a fox.

Is a fox capable of the damage described :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

ANSWERS ON A POST CARD PLEASE..

Cheers Phil ;):sick:;)

Give a fox enough time and yes it will do the sort of damage you are describing. Was it definitely a fox? that is anyones guess. Generally when my lambs go missing that is it we don't see what is left, but i can say we usually shoot a fox or two in the vicinity and that stops the problem, whether there are badgers in the area or not. Badgers are a pain as they will chew the udder off a ewe if it gets mislaid, they don't tend to chase and catch in my experience.

Rgds

Badshot

I thought dog foxes urinated on whatever they left to prevent any other foxes/predators from finishing them off. I did see this once where a dog fox had just taken the head off of a week old lammb and urinated on the remains. Was this the case with what you found? Smells pretty awful too.