Open Ticket

Having a closed ticket is definately a barrier on getting new opprtunities for shooting. So what is the likeyhood of getting a part open ticket, say for rabbit calibres such as .17 & .22 and doing your time for the higher calibers such as .223 & .308? (West Midlands).

On first application? Pretty close to nil.

If you've got a bit of experience RF experience (particularly shooting over different ground) and have held a FAC for a year or two then there's a good chance. Depends on having good reason and the policy of your local firearms dept :)

I was awarded an open ticket on first application, although there seems to be some confusion on here, my understanding is an open ticket is when you can use your firearm anywhere you have permission to, but i have stated this in other posts and people have disagree'd so i checked on this and it seems it is an open ticket. (for both .22LR and .243win)

Regards,

Gixer.

Not as far as i'm aware?? (apart from the calibre thing?) could be wrong though! Basically when I put in for my FAC I stated that I would be using the rifle on my permission but also buying stalking - this obviously involves using the rifle in many different area's in the UK so the ticket has to be open to allow this (that is my understanding of it anyway...)

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Correct.

A "closed" ticket has conditions on it which state you can use it on ground which you have permission over and which have been cleared by the cheif officer of police for that area i.e. you have to have individual permissions cleared for that calibre.

Open means you can shoot anywhere you have permission whether it's been cleared by the police or not. Different forces differ on their policies to "open" tickets and generally the more rural forces are more relaxed about it.

At one time all FACs were open. Restricting them is just a police tactic which makes our lives more difficult. When you think about it there is no reason why you should be restricted. If you are a safe and responsible person (which you are or you wouldn't have an FAC) what difference does it make where you shoot? You are "cleared" to shoot on one farm but not the one next door - ridiculous!

By doing this we gradually come to accept another meaningless piece of regulation.

I have even heard of the police doing it with shotgun certificates now. People getting SGCs with clay shooting only on them - why?