Free Press

Axe

I know I might be putting myself on the firing line for this and I certainly dont want to to cause any trouble, however:

Since i've joined the forum i've seen many posts complaining about the latest press and news, someone shot this someone shot that etc. God knows, I dont like it any more than you but why do we have to keep saying so on an open forum.

In my opinion this just provides easier access to information for people that would use it against the sport. I know that most of us try and comment on how these sort of things are spoiling it for us, law abiding and conscientious people who make every effort to ensure that the sport is done properly. But wouldnt it simply be better not to start a post of this nature in the first place.

As I said, I dont want to offend anyone that has put up a post like this as I fully appreciate why they have done so. I just cant help but feel it has an adverse effect rather than a positive one.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Axe.

Axe thats a good point you have made and I'm afraid we are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. If we just ignore these bad press articles than really we are just sticking our heads in the sand, should anti's or some other person who is against field sports look on this forum and discover there is no mention of the bad side of shooting only lots of posts about what we shoot and kill then they could be forgiven for thinking we dont take any notice of the bad apples that give us a bad name. If on the other hand these things are discussed openly amongst ourselves and they see that we are just as outraged by some iresponsible idiots actions as they themselves are, then we do not get tarred by the same brush. The fact is that with the best will in the world and all the defending of our sport you can muster, there really are some complete idiots out there and I think its in the sports best interest to openly admit and debate that this is the case. A closed shop on anything that might bring our sport into a bad light will just be seen as a cover up. Thats only my opinion for what its worth and I am sure many forum members will dissagree with me on this.

Peregrine

Dont worry about it? those that want to "blacken" us will seek their own amended version of whatever event it is anyway, as for it not being healthy to debate "bad news" sorry couldnt dissagree more? as all it would do is make a disscussion or article taboo!

look at immigration / colour/ sexuality mention any of these and you are immediately branded a racist/zenophobic/ homophobic bigot!! yet the biggotry is from those who wont allow your point of view / opinion. but do they see that do they toss!

Perhaps we should not pass on news such as mrs walker the school teacher recently disscussed here, has had her application for bail refused?should that be "swept" under the carpet by us in our "attempt" to keep things "in house"

Or perhaps maybe we would be better served by asking our mp's for consistencey and perhaps ensuring those who brought about this sad affair receive the same treatment and lack of compassion. But hey hang on dont the scum of society have the minority police championing ther cause? so why shouldn't we.

cheers KW

These are all very good points I do see the relevance in voicing our disgust at events that could be seen to darken our sport. I especially beleive in the freedom of speech, but as we all know, people always read between the lines particularly the sort who seek to bring an end to such activities.

Some posts have brought to my attention activities taken place in areas that I would otherwise not have heard about. This then must be the case for those who scan these open forums looking for such information, if you get my point.

Now scratching my head, I cant honestly say wether open discussion is good or bad other than.......why is it that bad news is remebered for much longer periods than good.

What a can of worms.

Regards

Axe.

Some posts have brought to my attention activities taken place in areas that I would otherwise not have heard about. This then must be the case for those who scan these open forums looking for such information, if you get my point

INFORMATION IS POWER

you may as well have it as it will only be used against you!!

cheers Kw

This is a forum.

Forum means, and I quote from the Chambers English Dictionary:

'A place, programme or publication where opinions can be aired and discussed'.

I feel that even if non-shooting people see us discussing these bad area's of shooting related practices, it will only serve to show the depth of feeling felt by law abiding shooters.

On other matters, this is a forum for ones own opinions and views. They are to no extent the views of the members as a whole and, of course, members who disagree with a certain post will air their opinions accordingly, as is their perogative.

Christ, I sound like a bloody politician speaking gobbledegook!!!!

Rob.

:lol::lol:

There will always be people who will read articles, whether on here or in the press and will then skew what they have read to their own uses. The government itself promotes this type of activity by openly employing what they refer to as "spin doctors". These are people who can take the truth and distort it out of all proportion to make it more palatable and/or to encourage idiots who can't see through it that the government is acting in our best interests. Calling a spade a spade they are professional liars and Mr. B. Liar is the worst of the lot !!!!!

Can't see any harm in speaking the truth here on the forums, it might even jog some of the apathetic to seeing what is really going on in society, particularly in respect of gun related crimes.