Pigeon crop contents

Axel

Tried a pea field again yesterday (the peas are just pushing their shoots up through the soil) which had given me some action last week but only got half a dozen 'flighters'. When I breasted them out later, 2 were empty, 2 had OSR but last 2 had maize in. I guess this would be from a cover crop but arent they all ploughed in by now? Guess I'll just have to extend my recce area a bit further. Clipper.

We find that once the peas are sprouting through you don't tend to get too much activity, it can improve once the plants start to get away and that is when Mr. Farmer will be happiest to see you :lol: They don't do much harm at drilling stage as they are only mopping up what is on top and wouldn't be any use, only trouble is with modern drills the seed is put in very well !!.

Once the drilling is over it will be time to look out for all kinds of odd food sources, the massive swarms I watched yesterday were hell bent on a belt of game cover stubble, think that might have been maize.

Good luck with your searching, may have a drive out myself later today, no need to be up at sparrow **** this time of year as some of the best shooting can be mid afternoon on (IMHO)

I guess this would be from a cover crop but arent they all ploughed in by now?

Probably from a fresh drilling.... maize normally goes in after spring wheat or barley as it grows so fast on good fertile soil. Much of it wont go in until May.

Fresh maize drillings can be very good shooting. One of the Farmers on whose land I shoot is yet to plant about 75 acres including about 6, 5 acre cover strips at the edge of woodland for the Poults. This is normally pretty productive....

But I dont normally shoot after April so the birds will probably have a good feed.

Cheers.

FM.

We shot some Pigeons yesterday that were full of all sorts of wierd and wonderful seeds. There were small white ones, small black ones, sunflower seeds, medium sized black ones all mixed in with a bit of clover.

They were either feeding on left over game crop or someones bird table!! :lol:

We shot them near a roost wood on drilled barley.

By the way, we've had 3 young birds this week. :lol: Has anyone else seen any yet??

Mark.