One eye shut

My mates me and our kid were doing a bit of clay shooting today at our local gaff,i shoot with one eye shut as in shooting a rifle.

A very nice chappie gave me a bit of advise and said i might benefit ( stop missing ) from opening both eyes as this is what shotguns are designed for.

I gave it a go and found it a bit tricky.

Is this how its done ?

The chap who gave me the advise is **** hot and doesn`t seem to miss many so it obviously works for him.

Cheers dudes.

Oh yea clay shooters i have found are very helpful, polite and more than willing to past on their experiance its nice that, in this world where a lot of people don`t really give a **** about anyone else.

Regards Andy.

Normally yes, two eyes open to aid in judging the speed and distance of a moving target. Shotgun shooting is more instinctive than the precise, static, one eye closed method normally used with a rifle. You also focus on the target, whereas with an iron sighted rifle you focus on the foresight. However both eyes open only works if you are right handed with a right master eye, or left handed with a left master eye. If your eye dominance is opposite to your 'handedness', you may need to close your master eye. Other work arounds include masking one lens on shooting glasses, special sights or a crossover stock.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Hi,,

I am no expert but believe that it is because in order to work out distances and angles your brain uses the information from both eyes. If you close one you lose some of that information. There isnt anything wrong with shooting with one eye closed, might eb worth getting your eyes tested tofind out eye domanance etc.

Dan

I am Right Handed with a left master eye. What I should do is shoot off of the left shoulder but I had been shooting rifles for years before I got in to shotguns and this felt alien to me. I shoot off of the Right sholder and close the left eye. I can manage 24s on English skeet on a good day and shoot better than most at my local ground on the sporting so dont get to disheartend if you are left eye dominant.

Dave

some good advice given there, the main thing with shooting with both eyes open is that you are aware of the depth of field of your sight picture, as I have got olderI have now, to dim my left eye when clay shooting, I have also tried obscuring my vision from my left eye by putting a small patch on the left lens of my shooting glasses, Keep both eyes open, when you shoot and you will see that you can pick up the distance of the target instantly, compared to one eye shut. Good luck.

I am Right Handed with a left master eye. What I should do is shoot off of the left shoulder but I had been shooting rifles for years before I got in to shotguns and this felt alien to me. I shoot off of the Right sholder and close the left eye. I can manage 24s on English skeet on a good day and shoot better than most at my local ground on the sporting so dont get to disheartend if you are left eye dominant.

Dave

Ditto that Dave. What I tend to do is squint my left eye so I don't lose the perspective of distance too much, it's just enough to force my right eye to be dominant.

I close my left at the last moment and I shoot 90s-96 over the past 2 months, <_< or get one of those Easy Hit

sights and try it £30.

yeah same here I just think its important that you pick up the bird with both eyes...

then I squint at the last moment (I'm right handed but have equal eye dominance, no matter how hard I try when point at something in the distance I see two fingers with equal strength, I think its all those 3d and magic eyebooks I had as a kid)

Yup, I close my left eye at the last minute, or at least dim it. I can sometimes hit with both eyes open when i try (i know I should shoot eyes open) but don't like to risk misses on my score chart!

Seems to work ok though.

Edited by George1990

Left eye dominant, right handed shooter who can't squint his left eye. Had a lesson yesterday, opinion of my tutor was that the eye dominance is not causing me any issues whatsoever - LOTS of other reasons why I miss, and I do miss quite a few, but nought to do with the dominance.

Just gotta find what works for you. If I could squint my left I think I'd only do it very briefly on the mount to be sure I'd mounted correctly. Started out with a patch jobby over some shooting glasses - drove me nuts and always felt I was in danger of whacking the end of the barrel into things whilst walking around and lost nearly all perception of depth on the moving clays. If I'd kept going in that mode I'd probably have sold all my guns by now...

ATB

Raja