.17 fireball rem / .17hmr (difference)

Ian88

As I'm sure that you are aware, .17 Fireball is a centrefire case and therefore, reloadable. In theory at least you have a bigger choice of what you can load into a Fireball - in practice the HMR offers several load options against only one Fireball factory load at present. The beauty of the Fireball would have to be that it is an efficient use of a relatively small case and genuinely offers the option of being able to swat larger vermin / foxes at a much greater range than HMR whilst still delivering a flat trajectory - expect 4000fps plus using 20g and 25g bullets.

If you don't mind me asking what was the rifle, a Rem 700 / Rem. 7 or something else? I'm looking to get a CF .17 before the end of the year.

I just priced up reloading for the .17FB and it works out at about 33p - 35p per pop so, HMR still wins out if you can accept the ballistics.

All the best

Andy

I've just spent the past few days deliberating over whether I should put a variation in for a 17 Fireball. Shoots +/- 1.5" over 300 yards :blink: :oops: It's a sweet round, throwing a 20grn bullet at nearly 700ft/lbs

Edited by harfordwmj

Ian88

As I'm sure that you are aware, .17 Fireball is a centrefire case and therefore, reloadable. In theory at least you have a bigger choice of what you can load into a Fireball - in practice the HMR offers several load options against only one Fireball factory load at present. The beauty of the Fireball would have to be that it is an efficient use of a relatively small case and genuinely offers the option of being able to swat larger vermin / foxes at a much greater range than HMR whilst still delivering a flat trajectory - expect 4000fps plus using 20g and 25g bullets.

If you don't mind me asking what was the rifle, a Rem 700 / Rem. 7 or something else? I'm looking to get a CF .17 before the end of the year.

I just priced up reloading for the .17FB and it works out at about 33p - 35p per pop so, HMR still wins out if you can accept the ballistics.

All the best

Andy

It was a rem 700 think it was £900 poundish its on guntrader there only 2 on there .cheers

Hi,

17 fireball is derived from the 221 fireball pistol case, it is remingtons commercial version of the 17 mach IV. It is the most efficient of the 17 calibre centerfire cartridges. My preferred load is 18.5 of benchmark behind a 25 grain hornady pill for 3800 fps. It uses between 7-10 grains of powder than the 17 remington (similar case size to a 223) hence is not as loud, does not foul near as much and suffers far less throat erosion. It kills far above its weight. It is far flatter than a 223 and even a 22/250. Brilliant round and what I use as a pro shooter.

Cheers

macca,

where on earth have dragged the supposed 'fact' that a 17 fireball chambered barrel will foul less than a 17 Remington chambered one from?

As a 'pro shooter' your opinion is obviously far more valid than mine, despite the fact that I've owned six 17 Rem rifles that I can remember and have shot several others over the past 15 years. The fact that you favour the awful Hornady 25 grain HP, which usually behaves like an FMJ, tells me what your opinion is worth (unless you have some very old ones from before Hornady changed the design of that bullet about 8 years ago- before that, they were actually very good).

Every complaint of fouling in a 17 Rem I've ever heard related to a Remington with a chromemoly barrel. None of the Tikkas I've had have fouled much at all. One Sako, which had done a lot of work when I bought it did pick up a bit of copper, but it shot very well.

My current 17 Rems ( one with a Pac-Nor barrel, one with a Shilen and a factory Sako) don't seem to pick up any copper at all.

Not sure about the FB using 10 grains less powder- more like 5 or 6 usually.

As far as throat erosion goes, well, I've not shot one out yet.

If I didn't have six hundred unused 17 Remington brass I would probably consider swapping to the 17 Fireball. It is more efficent than a 17 Remington but not as much as Macca claims, and it can't reach the same velocity as the 17 Remington with equal weight bullets. I think it is a better option than the 17 Remington. I have shot a 17 Remington out. A Walther re-barrel. It would get off maybe three decent shots than start throwing them around. The throat was as rough as a badger's rear end. Not surpising when you consider the amount of powder relative to the bore. However it was used a lot. Used more reasonably it would likely have lasted a lot longer. The 17 HMR is a great round for magpies, rabbits etc. but personally I would prefer something with a bit more power for foxes and the 17 Fireball would be a good option.