First time smoking pigeon

Westcountryman

Gents,

I have read alot about smoking meat on this forum and others aswell and this weekend will be smoking my first pigeon breasts.

Just so I don't arrrse it up, I want to quickly run through what I will be doing, to make sure I haven't missed anything out.

Firstly, my smoker is a biscuit tin sitting ontop of a "hot stone bbq" with the hot stone removed. The BBQ element is a meths burner, similar to a trangia burner.

In the tin, I will have a cup of water to keep it all moist and a tin foil bag with about 100g of oak dust (from ebay). at the top of the tin, is a rack with the pigeon breasts sitting ontop.

I will brine the pigeon for x hours when I have looked up how much salt to use and for how long. Then stick the raw, brined pigeon in the smoker, light the meths and wait 20 mins for it all to cook.

Is that it? Will this have cooked the pigeon sufficiently? Seems a little simple.... :blink:

No that sounds good, I use dry salt, but brine is supposed to work just as well. Remember to wash and dry well afterwards.

You may have to adjust the time as I use mine on the gas burner in the kitchen, 2-3 minutes moderate heat to get the thing smoking and then lowest possible for the rest of the time. I suppose you could open it and cut the breasts to see how done they are, however I like mine pink-ish and not that dreadful grey :lol:

Best of luck, I am trying pigeon jerky this weekend and then if successful goose jerky :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. The pigeon came out better than I expected. I little drier than I had imagined, but tasted great. My 3 year old daughter who won't eat meat, apart from cheap sausages :blink: loved it and had a whole breast to herself. She had the breast thinly sliced with some red current jelly. Same for me. Great stuff. Next time I will do 10 or so pigeons in one go.

BTW, I tested the meths powered smoker last week but the burner burnt off the meths before the tin was upto heat, so I scraped that idea and went used a few BBQ bricks instead. I have a gas "bluey" cooker somewhere, which I will find before the next smoking.

post-16239-1243806991.jpg

The pigeon came out better than I expected........... I have a gas "bluey" cooker somewhere, which I will find before the next smoking.

Glad it turned out well, anything salted and smoked will be drier than other cooked meats. As for the Bluey, that`s a good method, just set it to it`s lowest flame :blink:

you lot really dont help the NHS.... they try and get ya's to stop smoking cigarettes and you turn to smoking bloody pigeons... i must say im disappointed.... :P

tasty eatings them smoked pigeons... and as for smoked rabbits WOOOOOOEEEE they tasty... (christ im starting to sound like lee... maybe i am from bedford virginia :S )

why not try just putting a tray on the charcoals of the 'kettle bbq' in the pic ... close the vent and put the wood chips on the tray and ur food on the normal grille .. use the lid to 'seal' it all :good:

Good thinking!

The BBQ was just an temporary measure as the meths burner didn't do the job. I may try that next time though!