Prescription polaroids.

Cranfield

I wear prescription varifocals and for some long time have been investigating polaroid prescription glasses.

Up until now I have worn clip-on polaroid lenses.

The major drawbacks of these, is that they make your glasses heavier and uncomfortable. There is also the problem of sunlight getting between the two lenses and you have to wear a hat with them, to help prevent this.

My optician has offered a few options at around £200+, but the polarisation of a pair I tested, was poor.

The best have been the US brands Costa del Mar and Ocean Waves.

These were developed for anglers and the variety of polarisations they offer is amazing.

Big problem is that they will only make them to an American opticians prescription, still around £180+.

I have now discovered a UK equivalent.

Optilabs have a variety of frames and polarising lenses and the ones I tested were superb.

They sent me a pair of frames upon which my optician marks the position of my varifocals and my eye measurements. This is then returned together with a copy of my current sight prescription and £130.

7 days later, I have my polaroid spectacles.

Adjustable arms, spare curved arms, removable side screens, glasses cord and optional nose patch (discarded).

They are superb, very light, I can fish in them, drive and shoot in comfort.

I would recommend them to anyone in the same position as me.

Just put Optilabs in your search engine and you will find their webpage.

Probably the best thing I have bought this year.

Polarised lenses are high grade "sunglasses".

The lens cuts out all glare and distortion around bright images.They also prevent eyestrain (tired eyes).

The various colours of the lenses satisfy  slightly different requirements.

The yellow lenses, reduce glare, but amplify other light, these are very popular with clay shooters and skiers.

Anglers prefer the grey or brown lenses, these eliminate all water surface glare and enable you to see "through" the water.

The offshore sailors and fishermen usually have the blue lenses (sometimes reflective) , this enables them to see in the extreme brightness of the sea+sun+sky.

Polaroids also block Ultra Violet rays, this is something that ordinary sunglasses cannot do. This prevents you causing long term damage to your eyes by exposure to the sun.

Go to any chemists and pick up a pair of ordinary polaroids from a display rack and try them, you will see the difference, then imagine what a really good pair are like.

however...........both my pairs of Ray-Bans offer 100% U.V. protection, though they are not polarised, Ray-Ban do a specific polaroid lense if desired, the major difference being that this type of lense will reduce glare or reflected light over and above the average 'shades'............am I on the right site here?!  :D  :crazy:

Tim, I looked at those, but thought that they were a bit fiddly (how many lenses do you walkaround with in your pocket ?) and it still gives you the "two lens " problem.

It might be interesting to find someone who has tried them.

HH, I don,t think it can make that much difference, as long as you don,t wear "mirrored " glasses.

I use to prefer to shoot without my glasses on in bright sunlight, but I have purchased these mainly for shooting and fishing and so I will see if there is any difference in the pigeons behaviour.

Deako, I,m pleased you are getting 100% UV protection from your Ray Bans, your eyes are very important to you.

Just wait until you get old. :crazy:

I think William would be happy to be sponsored by anybody. :D

I posted this item under "New Pigeon Shooting Gear" because they are new items of pigeon shooting gear to me.

If you wear prescription glasses, its not as simple as putting on a pair of sunglasses when the sun shines.

The sun doesn,t bother you, but not being able to see properly does.

I think its of interest to prescription glasses wearers.   :crazy: