Are PCP soon to be illegal??

Yo!popgun

Hi, just registered.

I downloaded the shotgun licence from a Police website today and noticed in the search that it said that air rifles with their own air cartidges will soon be illegal.

I assumed this to be the likes of Brocock or CO2 powered rifles but could not find out if it meant precharged pneumatics aswell.

Anyone shed some light on this.

Brococks and similar are already illegal unless you hold them on a FAC already. PCP guns have no current legislation aimed at them other than general airgun laws. Labour has stated in their manifesto that they will "tighten the laws on airguns". As to what that means in reality we do not know and I suspect neither do Labour. As of yet we haven't had a satisfactory answer from them as to what they do mean.

I'm sure it's only going to be a matter of time before the activities of a few antisocial morons sees the rest of us, with legitimate uses for our guns, tied up in yet another load of pointless, unenforceable legislation.

I can see a time when all gun ownership is banned, the only people who will then have them are the criminals. Has the hand gun ban reduced the amount of hand gun crime ?, not in the least. We need to be REALLY tough on antisocial criminals but it's never going to happen is it.

The Labour Manifesto does mention tightening the law on air guns, but this has

not yet been developed into a fully formed proposal or policy.

I can appreciate your concerns, but I do feel that there is a need to legislate

to help prevent guns from falling into the wrong hands and to highlight the

risks associated with air guns.

I recognise that there are people who use air guns legitimately for sport, and

I do not see any reason why this should be restricted. Once a proposal for this

policy has been drawn up, there will be a period of consultation and an

opportunity for you to make your views known. However, at the moment, due to

the General Election campaign, it is unlikely that any response can be made

this is an extract form a letter sent in reply to the said same question?

it would seem and no I agree its not official but it is getting well put about!! perhaps so that the actuallity may be less of a surprise? that 18 will become the minumum age to own an air weapon and that some form of licensing will be needed?

On a purely personal basis having had a number of run ins with illegal shooters on my permissions and the recent spate of bad news kids killed sheep shot etc etc perhaps this is no bad thing? mind you I hope the licensing system will be a bit more sensible than having to go through a full fac application consisdered mine totally over the top?

cheers keith

The Labour Manifesto does mention tightening the law on air guns, but this has

not yet been developed into a fully formed proposal or policy.

Have they got any fully formed proposals or policies at all ??

Totaly agree that law needs tightening, or rather that existing, unenforced laws need to be implemented. It is already illegal to use any gun in a way that threatens other members of the public. It is already illegal to go shooting sheep in a farmers field, it is already illegal to poach on othe people's land. This would also apply where you using a longbow or catapult so where do we draw the line at controlling things ?.

We'll end up with another bunch of cobbled together legislation that in the end won't make a scrap of difference, sorry to sound so argumentative guys but I really hate how our choices and freedoms are being limited. We are being legislated into a corner and each little bit is chipping away towards a total ban.

Do antisocial behavious orders make any REAL difference or are they yet another ploy to fool the gullible public into thinking there is any law and order in this country.

We need to seriously wake up to this or we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Can anybody remember some recent changes in the licence that some interpreted as meaning a ban would exist on pigeon shooting ?, was that well thought out as a result of a period of consultation ?. It had to be reworded as soon as it came out as like so much legislation it was ambiguous and confusing.

Guess I've just been around too long and can recall the days when you had a bit of freedom to use your own common sense, you young un's better watch out because they'll be a todger tax before you know it !!!

Tin hat firmly on.

Forgot to mention that Brococks were legislated against because they could theoretically be converted into centre fire rifles, where the owner was then supposed to get the ammunition unless an FAC holder I'm not too sure. Another pointless restriction ?

Edited by old rooster

and to really throw the cat amoungst the pigoens.

i did hear a rumor at the club, next on the hit list were the multi shot PCP rifles heard about a certain manufacturer being consulted about this.

is just a very sad affair that the most dangerouse rifles out there should never be sold to the owners in the first place :thumbs:

which is the more dangerouse rifle?

air arms s410, with permison to pest control farmers land.

cutom B2 sold to lad in school (but he looked much older) shooting in garden.

sad really that the laws that aready exist should be more than enough but are mostly ignored and nothing seems to be done to enforce them fully.

ROB :lol:

The idea that raising the age to own an air rifle to 18 will prevent misuse makes me laugh. :thumbs:

You only have to look at the recent shootings with air rifles to see that they were committed by people over that age. In fact the lad that was killed in Scotland was shot by a 27/28 year old eejit. :lol:

Yet another ruse by this lot to try and show the media that they are “Doing something about it”. :lol:

G.M.

i did hear a rumor at the club, next on the hit list were the multi shot PCP rifles heard about a certain manufacturer being consulted about this.

Well there's a surprise !!!, who'd have thought it. We will be the victims of our own apathy if we let this bunch of to**ers get back in.

The most dangerous rifle is surely the one being used irresponsibly ?, you'll never stop that by introducing new legislation but it could be stopped by harsh sentencing.

We had a post recently about a lad shooting at signs and lamposts with an air gun while sitting bored in a bus shelter, got a paltry fine which tells all the other idiots that it's an OK thing to do. Likewise one of the members reported a rifle shot being fired through his window to which the police didn't even visit his property, just sent him an incident number for insurance purposes.

The lunatics really are running the asylum and the sooner more people see the truth behind the government bulls*it the better.

The most dangerous rifle is surely the one being used irresponsibly ?, you'll never stop that by introducing new legislation but it could be stopped by harsh sentencing. 

Totally with you on that Rooster, Stiffer Law (Edit: Meaning enforcement), Tougher Sentence...its the only way forward.

Axe.

Edited by Axe

The laws about airguns are pretty harsh as they are.

Remember, once an offence has been commited with an air gun (even tresspass) it automatically becomes a firearm. So no differeance between an air gun and an uzi.

This is the law now, and they want to make it tighter?

The laws about airguns are pretty harsh as they are.

The laws about most things are if applied properly, not much new under the sun as far as naughtiness is concerned. :thumbs: :lol:

That piece of s*it who shot the baby by mistake recently should swing for it. We need a new capital offence of causing death by recklessness. Bring back hanging and string a few scumbags up, then you'll see some changes in attitude. May sound draconian but I feel the law abiding public should expect some protection under the law and if that means that a few evil people have to pay with their lives to make an example let's have some of it !!.

Wouldn't that make the do gooders bleat if it got into one of the manifestos, bet it would be a vote winner though.

Edited by old rooster

I agree completely, but if they simply started enforcing the current laws it wouldnt have to come to such measures. Human Rights .....bah humbug!

The government has let far too much EU **** into this land of ours.

Message for Blair: We're British give Britain back to us!!!