Outdoor Range

Evoss

Hey Guys, Advice needed or ideas.

I am going to be making an outdoor range for when the sako comes tomorrow !! (cant wait anylonger or i will pop). What sort of things could I make for the range ?

Ideas and Advice wld be fab.

ok if you live in a residential area (town, estate, city) BAD IDEA.... if your in the countryside its different.... your Sako is a firearm correct? im pretty sure land needs to be cleared for the use of a firearm (high powered rifle) correct? IF you happen to meet these requirements... then i would OBIOUSLY recommend you have a safe backstop.... for my air rifle in the garden i have a metal box with the front and bottom cut off... i mounted that on to wooden legs and they have a metal spike on the bottom of each, this is so i can remove it.... i have a pile of a sand behind that just for good mesaure (because you are using a high powered rifle i really wouldnt recomend building a rifle range for your garden...) if you really cant wait then you may (to stay with the law) just pay to go down the local rifle range.... im pretty sure you can get in there..... better yet.... get your backside around the farms and knock on doors... surely if you have your FAC already you already have a permission? if so ring your farmer and ask if you can go down tomorow..... im pretty sure he will say yes....

but really i wouldnt recomend a rilfe range in the garden (its best to pay and got to a rifle range than risk hurting yourself someone else... or losing your license because you are shooting in the garden :hmm: honestly, id rather pay a couple of quid than have ARV burst through my back gate aiming MP5's at me :S

best of luck mate... and tell me how you gert on with the SAKO i have admired the quad since release.... if i ever get around to getting an FAC i would like one... tell me what you think when you have it...

Edited by mark_mjs93

Hi

Depends on what distances you are looking at, e.g. if you plan to shoot at distances from 300 to 1000 yards then some flags at varying distances along the length of the range can give you an accurate indication of crosswinds downrange. Red flags can also serve as a warning to unsuspecting walkers/trespassers etc.

Some warning signs might be a good idea as well.

Consider hardstanding, heavy gravel or rubber matting on the ground in front of the shooting point. It helps prevent dust lifting after every shot (specially when shooting prone), which gives a better experience when spotting, as well as having to clean equipment afterward. Some water to dampen the ground down before shooting can also be used to great effect.

A raised shooting area/point helps to keep your line of sight above the grass..

If I think of others I will add them here

Neels

Hi

Depends on what distances you are looking at, e.g. if you plan to shoot at distances from 300 to 1000 yards then some flags at varying distances along the length of the range can give you an accurate indication of crosswinds downrange. Red flags can also serve as a warning to unsuspecting walkers/trespassers etc.

Some warning signs might be a good idea as well.

Consider hardstanding, heavy gravel or rubber matting on the ground in front of the shooting point. It helps prevent dust lifting after every shot (specially when shooting prone), which gives a better experience when spotting, as well as having to clean equipment afterward. Some water to dampen the ground down before shooting can also be used to great effect.

A raised shooting area/point helps to keep your line of sight above the grass..

If I think of others I will add them here

Neels

I think he is suggesting an informal zeroing/plinking range rather than recreating Bisley in his back yard! I reckon 1000 yards target shooting might be a bit optimistic for a rimfire Sako Quad?

Yeah land is cleared. Have a 350 acre farm..

The field the range is in has a backstop of a mound of earth in a hedge about 5 M thick of compact dirt :D

then get out there and SHOOT... i mean if you have a farm you can go out and pop rabbits aswell.... best of luck mate, a good peice of kit for your range will also be a target holder... not sure who it was was making them on here not long ago... looked pretty hardy i was gonna get one for my air rifle.... ill track down the thread for ya bud...

ATB

Mark

:lol:

then get out there and SHOOT... i mean if you have a farm you can go out and pop rabbits aswell.... best of luck mate, a good peice of kit for your range will also be a target holder... not sure who it was was making them on here not long ago... looked pretty hardy i was gonna get one for my air rifle.... ill track down the thread for ya bud...

ATB

Mark

:lol:

Thankyou :D

Way before the advent of moderators for big rifles a friend of mine had a300 yard range on his farm.

Flat with a good backstop etc etc . The interesting part was his firing point ! He had a flat base to lie on and just in front he had put 7 or 8 old lorry tyres side by side so he could shoot through . The end result was a reduction in the noise of the shot by a considerable margine . Very good if you dont want to upset the neighbours . The limit of course was he only shot at targets .

Probably doesn't help you at all ?? but I thought it was interesting ! lolol :good: