First aid kit for springers and any gundog for that matter!

Skippy

I am coming to you guys for the benefit of your experience. As the new season looms only a few months away and with most of my current land being well populated with wheat i need your advice.

I want to put together a comprehensive first aid kit for my springer to cover most reasonable field based injuries. I appreciate that alot of the time it is exactly that, a chance to buy time for your pup while you race them off to the vets.

I have hunted high and low and cant get a decent idea of what i need from anywhere. In fact i haven't done a search on PW so i will probably live to regret that comment!

I know some guys get some meds prescribed from their vets in anticipation, but none the less i would appreciate your comments.

Edited by Skippy

Make sure First Aid contains piriton ( in liquid form if poss). Nearly lost a dog last year to severe nettle sting reaction.

Hadn't heard that one before, but I've had (and seen) dogs with bad nettle stings before. I'll add it to my list.

I always keep the usual tick remover, some 'stop bleeding' spray and some of the equine bandage (stretchy tape that sticks to itself) in my dog FAK. My partner found the tape especially handy - he used to take the dog with him when he was working as a tree surgeon. He cut himself quite badly one day, and between the three tree surgeons working that day, none had a decent clean field dressing! They cleaned the wound, used the antiseptic wipe as a pad, and wrapped it with the tape! Never had to use it on the dogs so far, but always good to keep around...