front tow bar for a Landy

ME

I am looking for a front tow bar for my Landy for manoeuvring my boat and launching it.

I have done a bit of Googling and found some made by a company called Watling but they are expensive.

It is an old Series 3 Landy and only used for boat launching so it doesnt have to look "pretty", I just wondered about having a plate made up and bolting it to the front bumper.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

for what you want, just bolt a towball to the front bumper, use big washers or a plate at the rear.

dont try it with a bitsa****ty or toymota tho. :blush:

it is a 1973 series 3, the boat weighs about 1000kgs so I aint taking any risks mate.

it needs to be pretty damn good :lol:

Hi

I had an old range rover and made a one up for that.It had a towing ring on the front like most cars and I made a clamp to bolt it through that.Was made from to different size box sections and one went into other secured with a pin and just removed when not needed.

I pushed and pulled my 1500Kg caravan no bother.Best to offset it towards the near side then you can see down the side of what you are moving.

Would have thought bumper on landie woud be ok .

Matt,

Have you been into RST?

I am sure that they do a plate that is exactly what you want. Either that or learn to reverse a trailer.

MC,

Since the parking wardens are now out in force, every tourist and his wife is parking on the main Mersea hard so we are struggling to get past the hoards of Grockles coming to the Company Shed. If I had a front tow bar I could also use the smaller hard next to the Lifeboat station.

I also saw a guy with one the other day and I thought it looked cool. ;) I think he got his from RST. I must pay them a visit.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by LV

LV

I bolted a standard tow hitch ( pin and ball ) onto the front bumper with a 6mm plate behind to spread the weight.

Works a treat.

Given the is attached the same weigh as the winch which has pulled over 4tonnes and the bumper is still in place, then I reckon it's good for a 1 tonne boat.

Hope this helps

I have one of the front of my 110, has a metal plate the length of the bumper bolted with 4 bolts, 2 at each end, and the a ball hitch in the middle, you could make it yourself with a drill, large lump of metal, it is 10mm thick and very heavy, i use it on a bar and have pushed a 110 and a series land rover around with it, plenty stong enough, good luck

I fabricated a front receiver out of 50mm box, or 40mm box, that I use as a removable winch mount as well as having a tow ball that i can slot and pin in. I've used it a few times and it works a treat, quite a simple fabrication too, bolts to the chassis by 4 high tensile bolts. I'm sure I could find pictures if you wanted.