Rifles

robmiller

.243 too powerful....?

Hummmn interesting question. For most deer species (whilst being the 1st calibre larger than the .240" english minimum) it is OK but personally I wouldnt use it against a large Fallow Buck or Sikka & Red stags.

Again I feel whilst it will certainly cull foxes, there are flatter shooting .22 rounds that are just as (if not more so) effective.

.243 is a good 'one gun option' but not neccasarily the best option for both vermin and Deer.

IMO of course.

.243 is the best for all round Deer and Fox control

If you JUST want to shoot the smaller deer (Muntjac and CWD) you will get away with a .223 / .22-250 or similar - which again is ideal for fox.

So it all depends on the Deer part of the question... ?

I never got on well with 100gr soft-points in my .243 for foxing, John. There was noticeable over-penetration on foxes with the partition bullets I was using for deer, rather that the 'bang flop' of 70gr vermin-specific BTs.

I wouldn't buy another .243 for stalking in my local area. We see some hefty stags and hinds here, and a lot of hefty fallow. I would go for a 6.5x55 as a minimum.

I applied for a .22 rf which i dont see a problem with at all, and a .243. Have been a responsible shotgun holder for over ten years and have over 5000 acres of permission, what do you see my chances being? As in, yes for a .243 and an open ticket for the .22. It would really limit me as i get alot of invitations on the vermin side if they did.

cheers for all your advice by the way guys, i think the site is great for stuff like this