On The River

Spaniel

I have been on out of hours all this week dealing non stop with server problems etc and to be honest not getting much sleep, due to all the phone calls...it must be one of those weeks.........

So decided it was time to get my backside down on the river, got the Mrs to call into the PO and get my license :angry: well receipt and spent about a hour sorting all my kit out and off i went about 5.30 last night.

I made some Stilton and bread paste up which had a lovel smell to it.

I just stuck some paste on the hook and let the line trot down the river, keeping it close to the edge as it went passed the overhanging branches etc...i thought i was in for a good chance of catching a Chub to be honest, but in between all the phone calls..yep more escalations...i never had a single bite...

Had a chat with some other guys and they were blanking as well..

Still great to watch the King Fishers, dragon flys and Ducks etc and it was a lovely evening if nothing else.

Even had a bright blue Kingfisher fly under my rod at one stage and it was only inches above the water.

Going back down again next week (as im only 5 mins away from the Avon at Keynsham) when the phone will be off and i will be able to totally relax and hopefully catch my 1st chub of the season...

Anyone got any tips on catching Chub let me know

Cheers

Nice one...was going sea fishing myself the weekend but with how busy it as been on the phon and the weather forecast etc, im leaving it until next weekend now...

Anyway best laugh i had was when we were down at Berryhead Brixham fishing, we had the lines out baited with ragwoms and the brother in law said to my son who was about 8 at the the time, watch my rod fo me, as he started to bait up for my son....all of a sudden rod went round and next thing we knew was my boy was struggling with a good 5lb Wrasse on the end of the line.....biggest fish not only of the day but of all our adventures down there to date and my boy is now 17.... :yes::lol::lol::good:

Still makes me smile :angry:

Ive used these methods in the past with some success.

Ledger, 16 hook, wide gape type, in slacker flows of the river, like big eddies etc or near fallen trees etc. Hookbait - Cheese, luncheon meat, corn even 3/4 maggots at a time

Stick float - 18 hook or smaller, nearly always fished over depth and slightly held back against the flow, maggot or corn

I suppose it really depends on the river / swim. I have fished the Wye a lot, some superb chub to be had there. They will take a lot of feed when they start - great fun though

Have fun.........

I use a plasticeine wrapped shot on a paternoster with fluoro carbon hook length so it trundles along the bottom to their lair. Hook bait either maggot,worm or sweetcorn with a bit of loose feeding beforehand.I dont think the shy chub take readily to human food as quickly as the natural stuff (exc the sweetcorn).

I am no great coarse angler but get them on my local small rivers like this every time. Under trees and undercut banks or deeper channels will hold them.

Edited by vole21

Maybe I am not the person after todays efforts to help you! Fishing on a small river, probably 15 ft wide if that .

Spent all day on the river me on one peg and my mate 20 ft to the right on the next peg. Kept getting bites, but could not take them.

Only thing I did catch and got in was a t shirt! sadly too small for me! Meanwhile my mate was now into double figures, chub, perch, dace and to make matters worse his largest was 4lb chub. Dont you just hate it when they have to show you the fish and say isnt it lovely especially when your still on zero!

Then to make my day even more irritating ...... two canoeists decided to launch their canoes right next to where I was fishing! After counting to 40, a lot of swear words under my breath and they went off. Then it went even worse when a idiot and i use the term loosely - appeared in a canoe and his paddle was a "Half moon lawn edger" - why me eh! why carnt they go and .... off elsewhere!

Then the two canoeists made their return journey and guess where they wanted to get out of the boats and get back onto dry land - Yes youve guessed it!

do other people get irritated by canoeists? Or am i being over sensitive and having a senior moment!

End result Jan 0 Mate 12 !

Jan sounds like you had a bit of an outing,

I went out again on Saturday but a little further up the river this time, found a good place to fish, lillies in front of me and some nice branches to the left overhanging....thought got to be a good place for Chub.

Well i fished this from about 2 to 17.30 and in all that time i only had one bite..

Anyway im sat there and no kidding 6ft in front of me guess what happend.....a lovely bronze colour double figure mirror carp just slowly came out of the water and i swear it looked at me with its balck eyes and then just sank back into the water

think i was having one of those spirital moments :oops:

Anyway i thought i would settle down for some evening fishing when i heard alot of movement behind me.......god dam it, Bulls and i mean about 20 of them coming down to the river, guess what i was only sitting in their watering hole (that could of been painfull :lol: ) so i packed up and went home

Sunday thought get down there again but went back to the 1st placed i fished the other day.

Standing on the bank i could see Chub :yes: o yes this is going to be the day :yes:

I used peperami with cheese paste and i even used lunchoen meat, floated it down river even holding it where i could see the chub moving about every 20 mins, but not a bite...it was getting near BBQ time so started to reel in when all of a sudden i had a thump then a few more...i knew what it was and it was not a Chub.....

EEL :good: i cant stand the things,

IMG00063.jpg

Managed to get it off the line etc.

Planning on going down again on Weds/Thurs this time im going to float Red Maggots into the swim and see what happens

im not giving up until Chub as been caught then i will be on the next species

well just as expected i brought some maggots yesterday and then about 3pm down came the rain, followed by Thunder and Lightening :lol:

But then at around 5pm Mr Sunshine popped out to say hello :P

so off i went down to the river again....found a nice little spot lillies in front and over hanging trees to both side, so rigged up and with about 7 red maggots on the hook i sat back and waited for all the action to begin... :)

Guess what i caught......2 x more Eels... :D what is it with me lately all im catching is Eels....think im going to have the title of Eel man of the Southwest this year, if this carries on.

Cant wait for the weekend to give it ago again :P

Edited by Spaniel

Better luck next time mate, there was a 8lb 8oz brown trout caught locally to me on 2 maggots float fished and the last time i went i only got 1 eel but i threw my maggots in at the end of the day. I wish i had kept them now though so a trip to the tackle shop tomorrow and fishing after that :lol:

Edited by Hezbear

Think i may get out again on Sunday, but it will be in the evening again as there are boats up and down the river down our way as i fish close to the marina...

By the way in the Marina where we can not fish there are some beauties....Carp double figure plus Roach etc and the guy in the tackjle shops feeds them.....guess they wont be moving into the river any time soon...

Might get a trip to the Ouse soon as something i always wanted todo..

Good luck with the fishing

Cheers

Ian