a little advice if possible

chris28uk

Hi me and my uncle have got a bit land not far from where we live and we have just dug out a pond that has been left for a while,previous people that have been shooting on the place say that it used to be really good pond for the ducks but they lost interest in shooting the ducks anymore and has just been left to be swammped in weeds and long grass. So basically im just wondering if anyone has a bit advice on what too start feeding it too attract the ducks back from the near rivers that surrounds it? thank you..

Barley works too! put some on a flatish part of the bank, take the grass etc down if necessary, as well as just in the water.

The ducks will use this to sun themselves if it faces south and gives them even more reason to stick around.

Build your hide now so they are used to it well before you start shooting them! :blink:

GH

Thanks for quick response ppl ive been putting barley down on it just for roughly 2 weeks now,it does seem to be going but havent seen any feathers or scum on top of pond and thinking maybe other wild life i.e pigeons or crows etc the odd occasional sheep and cow wonders down to it aswell lol.

I got told that apparently they love rotten apples and rotten veg not sure if thats true like so thought i would ask on here.

Bignoel no we dont have a call duck on there we have put a couple of deeks on there, but its good news because i went last night around half 7 ish to put some feed on and as i approached it a female malard lifted off and there is now signs that ducks could be hitting it there is a good few feathers on it so now i sort of know where the food where putting down is going fingers crossed and thanks alot ppl its nice to know that shooting people stick together and help one another :good:

ill let yous know on roughly the numbers i get on it and what foods and methods ive used(thats if i get more ducks on lol) thanks alot people..

As you have started a lead in I would carry on feeding lightly slowly increasing the amount as the season comes closer and more ducks find the pond. There is only 2 types of food to seriously consider barley or wheat. Its true mallard will eat potatoes , rabbit guts , apples and so on , but they only find spuds attractive once they start to rot , meanwhile you run the risk of attracting rats and more important if the last 3 foods are used in quantity and not eaten they will pollute the pond destroying the natural insect foods and anyway duck are not very keen on polluted water. Barley is good as a lot of it floats on the surface , but that also means it can drift to the pond edge where again rats will find it and you will also be feeding the local moorhens. Given the choice duck will always prefer wheat . To test this offer a bowl of mixed barley and wheat to some tame mallard ( more than they can eat ) and the left over corn is always barley.

If its a good acorn year they are worth considering. They can be hard work collecting them , but if you have oak trees overhanging a quiet country lane its quite simple to sweep acorns up off the road with a broom into pile and bag it up. Always try and keep all food dry until you use it . Fungus and mould growing on any food can kill wild birds.

When the season ends keep feeding lightly until the early spring , this will encourage duck to breed on your pond and give you better sport next season.

Edited by anser2

Why not just let the pond get re established & feed when ducks have found it.

If no ducks come to it to start with they won't find the food you put out anyway.

Being unused it might be sterile, no insect & other pond life etc.

Don't expect instant results, hey I've got a pond & a bag of Barley is no path to instant success.

Bit like putting 100 pigeon deeks out in the field demanding a huge pigeon flock drops in.

Well, if nothing flies past you've no chance.

Rats are probably eating the food you put out.

Give it time, next year you may even get ducks breeding on it, get the start right, the rest will follow in it's own time.

buy half a dozen young ducklings yourself and when there old enough release them on the pond as a mate of mine did a few years ago,now he has hundreds,on his ,once the wild birds see life on the pond,they will come :hmm: good luck,,but dont forget it will take time

Edited by shotgun666