Could someone explain this to me plz ?

jayward

A little hard to explain but i will try

I shoot from my right shoulder i have recently noticed something strange going on with what i assume to eye dominance .

So when i mount my gun with both eyes open i can see right down the rib and the pips are in line .

The same applies if i close my left eye and open it again when mounted i can see right down the rib and pips in line

Now if i close my right eye with gun mounted and open it again i cant not see straight down the rib and it seems my mount is wrong i can correct this by blinking my left eye when i do this it then appears my mount is correct again very strange like a switch i can control where i am apparently looking !!!

So are my eyes switching dominance ?

I find it very strange and am wondering if this is creating an issue when im shooting clays this became apparent as i have purchsed a new gun and whilst dry mounting noticed this prominently . It is to be frank perplexing me quite badly

Any sensible advice welcomed

Thanks

yehh i must confess i have a habit of spending a lot of time @ the computer

but what gets me is the fact it appears i can switch this dominance by simply blinking an eye !! i can mount an blink alternate eyes and change the perspective

this is a worry as i have it my mind that when not looking down the rib and into the open as i do when shooting that which ever eye is stronger is going to take over and make my mount incorrect ..

Eye dominance is a very complicated problem and requires some expert help . It is very difficult to sort out by yourself . I would recommend you get a reliable experienced coach to help you sort this out . In the mean time you could try either some tape over the pupil position on the left lens of your shooting glasses or just close your left eye just before the gun comes to your face .

It is possible to persuade your brain to accept the imput from either eye as dominant for a short period . This is especially true if you have a problem with your vision , ie. if you wear glasses with a different prescription for each side .

If you want to test this , try the "dominent eye test " by holding your thumb in line with a distant object , then close each eye in turn and see which one leaves the line between the thumb and object unchanged . Then close the dominant eye , focus on the object and open the dominant eye again . with practise you should find you can maintain the image from the subordinate eye for some time . :hmm:

Edited by T.C.

Surely if you're mounting your gun normally and everything is fine, and you only become left-eye dominant when you close/blink your right eye, just keep both eyes open and don't blink your right eye?? :hmm:

Mark

yehh thats what i have been doing i have also taken to closing my right eye when mounting

But what im thinking is as im now aware my eye dominance can change what eye will take over when i look out 30yrds its fine when im looking down the rib and keeping that at the forefront of my mind but as im looking out whats going on !!!

Tc thanks for that advice its off to the optician for a eye test me thinks as im aware my eyes are not as good as my other 1/2s 20/20vision but i did not think there bad enough to require correction

im reading up on this now and what you say is very true and you can actually train your eyes/brain to select a dominate eye at will

My problem is im sure its random lol

Hi I found I had a left eye dominance problem Im a right handed shooter left eye dominant.

I personaly solved it by fitting the EASYHIT fibre optic sight, I dont miss now there are other cheaper versions of this.

Do a google search on "Easy Hit Fibre Optic Bead "

This site will explain all its very helpfull

Edited by Alanl50

its my Brain its muddled lol

I may have to complicate this issue further i forgot to add a fact that may be important I call myself right-handed (because i write right )

However i am ambidextrous and im not just being clever many people notice this and label me a lefty However i can not shoot from my left its just not comfortable

And having said that i have read it's also possible to not have a clearly dominant eye, similar to ambidexterity

its funny but did you know that the information received in your right eye goes to the left side of the brain and vice versa

File:Gray722.png

Try this also http://web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm and this http://www.chehalis.k12.wa.us/cms/science/...%20Dominant.pdf

On the whole the tests tend to be slightly favorable to the left side of my brain but only by a margin !!

Its believed that the information received in the dominate eye is linked directly to the dominant side of the brain making that eye dominate as the brain process it better

If i to believe what is have read im knackered ambidextrous brain and eyes ohh well lol

Edited by jayward

The suggest eye dominance test is only a guide. You can pass this test and still have an issue that is only apparent when the gun is mounted.

Your brain is used to seeing 360 degree peripheral vision in both eyes, so when a gun is mounted and blots out the lower half of one eye, the brain can be clever and can fill in the missing image from the other eye.

While the thumb and hole tests are good guides, all eye testing should be confirmed with the gun fully mounted.

Significant numbers of people have their combs set too low. The pupil of the eye should be 3mm clear of the rib at the back as you look up and over the gun, not down the rib through the bead. Try raising the comb with some temporary device like a Beartooth or Cervellati comb raiser and see if it helps. Use the £1-00 coin test to see if you are too low, when the gun is mounted naturally, if you put a coin on the rib you should be able to see over it down to the bead. The coin is about 3mm thick, the correct height for your eye to be above the back of the rib.

The Easy Hit device is mentioned, and if you have a chat with its distributor Graham Oades he will tell you a story that brought him into the eye dominance correction world. About 10yrs ago he came on a CPSA level one coaching course at which I was tutoring. One thing we do is check all the candidates own gun fit and mount, and we raised his comb. He tells me within 2 months his scored improved 20% as it made a significant difference to his sighting and eye switching problems. Later he came across the Easy-Hit bead in the USA and became the main UK distributor, and he has gone on to become an advanced coach.

Another cures is a high rib, moving the blotting out effect downwards ( liked by trap shooters where the target rises from under the gun.

Eye dom switching can occur through fatigue, light differentials, when you ate, stress, and a whole host of reasons.

The Irish Ladies O/T champion came on a CPSA course at and was missing simple skeet L-R. While she was spot on two eyes open with away targets, anthing L-R saw her change dominance. She needed to blink out ( ie start two eye to aquire, then close to see correct sight pictures).

We ran eye dom tests a couple of years at the CLA on the ArrowLasewrShot stand and we found t least 30% of all shooters had some amount of switch, and many targets are lost because the shooters are not aware of this.

Eye dominance is by no means a "set" thing, ie its not you have it or you dont. Everyone has situations where it becomes an issue, and everyone needs to recognise it and know the cures as many targets are lost simply because the shooter is completely unaware that in certain situations there can be a partial pull.

Buy and read the Clay Target Shooters Handbkook. There is in depth info in there about the problem, and the editor, who is a CPSA coach, Stuart Meinert, is reasonably local to you in Lancaster and might be worth having a lesson with.

Thanks clayman that was a very concise reply i appreciate your response and will take on board what you mention there is some good pointers im going to have practice and try out some different methods this weekend there is some good shots @ club and some extremely knowledgeable chaps , I will be prob making a general nuisance of my self

So i may put some tins in the car to hand out on my way out of the club lol

i am also going to take some board with large targets on to the club to gauge where im shooting in relation to where i think im shooting