compulsory DSC1 or mentoring for deer stalking .

Harnser

I don't think you realise how good you have it, I looked into getting a .243 this year, found out that in NI DSC 1 was Completely Compulsory, no way round it. So found out it was only offered by BASC, only once this year in Fermanagh, 2 1/2 hours drive, over the course of 3 days. The Cost was £300, called up BASC and got through to a very ignorant girl who said she's send me out a booking form and brochure, but that I also must join BASC, I think that was to be £65, plus the £26 to put in for a variation.

So I'm looking at £400 odd quid before i've bought the rifle, fired a shot or even driven to ****** Fermanagh!!!

P.S- The brochure and forms never even arrived, thanks BASC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest topshot_2k
Absolutely if you're that good at stalking the test should be a breeze, just do it

shouldnt need to, experience is worth 100x times doing a one off course and answering a few questions.

I don't think you realise how good you have it, I looked into getting a .243 this year, found out that in NI DSC 1 was Completely Compulsory, no way round it. So found out it was only offered by BASC, only once this year in Fermanagh, 2 1/2 hours drive, over the course of 3 days. The Cost was £300, called up BASC and got through to a very ignorant girl who said she's send me out a booking form and brochure, but that I also must join BASC, I think that was to be £65, plus the £26 to put in for a variation.

So I'm looking at £400 odd quid before i've bought the rifle, fired a shot or even driven to ****** Fermanagh!!!

P.S- The brochure and forms never even arrived, thanks BASC

I totally sympathise with you, but you have to look at your location (NI) it has a wee bit more history than any other place in the UK mainland you care to mention, i was over in omagh with my family staying at my brothers last year and his boss holds a few rifles, and he told me then what he had to go through to get his ticket 15 years ago.

I wish you well, and a call to your local BASC representative ( even though you are not member ) to explain what you need help with, may just bear fruit.

bob.

shouldnt need to, experience is worth 100x times doing a one off course and answering a few questions.

I have to agree with you.

my time in the Army proved to me that experience means a shoot load more than a class full of students being shown what to do, or reading what to do, and then they get a pass (if they pass ) to go and do it, it does not in no way mean that they can do it, but in some police forces they believe it does. ( so what we need to do is find out who is telling them this, and get them to admit that a bit of paper saying you attended and have got a dsc1 means you can shoot safely or shoot better than the bloke who has a couple of years hands on experience,

after all does holding a paper driving license mean you are better at driving than anyone else, when you have been on the road for a few years it does mean you can read the road a bit better than a new guy, BUT YOU ARE STILL NOT THE BEST and never will be.

the same applies to any sport, hobby, in fact it applies to life its self.all we need is the powers to be to understand this and correct badly set up unwritten rules,

bob.

well lads.

even with the help of BASC i still had to do the following,

The head FEO ( a Mrs) wanted the following more from me.

1, land with me named as having permission and what calibres i was cleared to use and what i was shooting, .22 lr and 17 hmr, they have all my permission slips for these already. :lol:

2, named land that must be cleared for the shooting of fox and deer and as above. this has been sent with 2 letters from my mentors. :)

3, my signatory for my sgc stated he was retired, but she wanted to know what he was before he retired, what has that got to do with them :lol:

finally i got a nice letter from my mentor and i know have 948 acres of land cleared for full bore rifles and i have been named to control deer fox and all ground game.

so all i have to do now is see what colour she wants me to dye my hair, etc etc before i get it back, i just hope the mentoring bit has gone, i don't mind it not being open but to have a mentor with me every time i shoot my .243 is beyond a joke.

bob.

glad they was of help bob. :good::hmm::good:

SR,

Yeah I can understand that, but bear in mind that this place is FULL of guns already, a man isn't going to go through the trouble of buying and licensing a legit Tikka T3 to go and commit an offence! If I'm not to be allowed a .243 then I equally shouldn't be allowed any of my other guns, a gun is a gun, but there are horses for courses...

I would like to know the B.A.S.C. postion on this matter . Why are constabularys insisting on these conditions when they are not part of the application process for rifle ownership .? Why not mentoring for fox shooting with a centre fire rifle , or is this to come .?

I think it is time that this was challenged in the crown courts and I think the B.A.S.C. are the people to do it . Perhaps David B.A.S.C. can enlighten us on the official B.A.S.C. postion . I think that this one needs sorting out soon .

Harnser .

H.

David was instrumental in my case, and BASC told me that the dsc1 and 2 are not a legal requirement, it seems to me that the police are using it to make it harder to get a centre fire rifle above the .223 and to deter people from applying, thus forcing just the serious shooters to keep going for it.

In my case there seems to be a bit of a grudge thing going, but they would never admit it, i may have upset the apple cart in the past but i have now kept my head down and let my mentors do the talking for me, but why should we have to do this, after all its not a free service we are paying they to do it, and they are public servents are they not !.

well i will keep you all posted on what the results are,

bobl

H.

David was instrumental in my case, and BASC told me that the dsc1 and 2 are not a legal requirement, it seems to me that the police are using it to make it harder to get a centre fire rifle above the .223 and to deter people from applying, thus forcing just the serious shooters to keep going for it.

In my case there seems to be a bit of a grudge thing going, but they would never admit it, i may have upset the apple cart in the past but i have now kept my head down and let my mentors do the talking for me, but why should we have to do this, after all its not a free service we are paying they to do it, and they are public servents are they not !.

well i will keep you all posted on what the results are,

bobl

Bob ,it is all part of the hidden agenda to curtail the issue of centre fire rifle tickets . They had the pistols ,now they want the rifles and then the shotguns , mark my words . Harnser .

Bob ,it is all part of the hidden agenda to curtail the issue of centre fire rifle tickets . They had the pistols ,now they want the rifles and then the shotguns , mark my words . Harnser .

H

you could be vert right,

i spoke to the lady dealing with mine and she seemed to be a bit more accomidating this time.

so here's hoping its all gone well enough for me to keep my .243.

bob.